Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

US death records

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: US death records Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I should go about looking for a death in the USA. My mother's godfather John Jo Kilbride (or Gilbride) was shot dead in the USA in about 1946. Only trouble is we don't know where. It was possibly Oregon but this is just an educated guess.

Any suggestions?

Jim

irvinejim@hotmail.com

Julie Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Does anyone know how I should go about looking for a death in the USA. My mother's godfather John Jo Kilbride (or Gilbride) was shot dead in the USA in about 1946. Only trouble is we don't know where. It was possibly Oregon but this is just an educated guess.

: Any suggestions?

: Jim

Try the Social Security Death Index. After mid 1930's (about 1937 or so) anyone holding a job in USA had to have a Social Security Number. You can search these records of those that have died to see if you get a match. You can then order via mail for about $7 US a copy of their original application. SSDI will give location of death (state) and location of application for original Social Security number. Then you can go to the state and get actual records of death. Good luck.

smyth4@yahoo.com

Kathleen Trotta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

I looked at the Social Security Death Index yesterday and saw no Kilbride or Gilbride in Oregon. The price of the information from the government has gone from $7 to about $15!!!! It's worth it if it's the person you are looking for, but I didn't see any deaths that went back as far as 1946. You can look if you want, the website is:

http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

ktrotta@monmouth.com

Trent Ruane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

Actually, the price went from $7 to $27. I know because I just made the cut off date when I ordered mine. It is unfortunate the fee was increased this much...

: I looked at the Social Security Death Index yesterday and saw no Kilbride or Gilbride in Oregon. The price of the information from the government has gone from $7 to about $15!!!! It's worth it if it's the person you are looking for, but I didn't see any deaths that went back as far as 1946. You can look if you want, the website is:

:
: http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

trentr@cnet.com

Kathleen1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

$27.00 per inquiry??? That's so sad - quite a jump from $7.00.

ktrotta@monmouth.com

Steve Ratigan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

There is no easy way to find a death in the USA, even if you know the state.The Social Security Death Index can be helpful, but the searchable database only goes back to 1962. And not everyone had a SS#. For example, government employees were covered by their own pension plan. I would recommend posting a query on a message board at Ancestry.com. They have a board for almost every name including Kilbride and Gilbride and they seem to be quite active.
Good luck in your search! Steve R.

stever@greennet.net

Julie Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Does anyone know how I should go about looking for a death in the USA. My mother's godfather John Jo Kilbride (or Gilbride) was shot dead in the USA in about 1946. Only trouble is we don't know where. It was possibly Oregon but this is just an educated guess.

: Any suggestions?

: Jim

Several emailers have said SSDI is for deaths in 1960 or later. I had better success than this. If I found the relative listed in the index than they were typically later deaths like the other emailers had stated. At the time I got the records, the cost was $7 since I had the Social Security number from the index. HOWEVER, I was successful in getting the Social Security records for my grandfather who died the first year after the start of Social Security in 1937 - this gave me his place of employment and the employer (still in business) gave me the County in Ireland which was the key to finding the correct family. I also got the records for a brother to my grandfather who died in the late 1940's. In both these cases the cost was $16 (higher now-also took 3 months) because I didn't have SSN but I did have name and birth date and state of death.

smyth4@yahoo.com

Tom Fitzsimmons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

Yes, it's expensive, and slow. I sent a check for $27 in November, 2001 and still haven't seen the information from the Social Security Administration on a query I had. I wrote them about 6 months later and asked where was the info, the check had cleared. They replied that they cash checks immediately, but the information can come as much as 8 months later. I'm at almost 9 months, so I should be seeing something any day now, shouldn't I?

tjfitz@iol.ie

Helen O'Connor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: US death records Reply with quote

I too was waiting for months for the same type of social security info. Having read your message, I wrote them a very nice letter explaining that I was moving from the U.S to Europe (which I am) and that I wanted to conclude my genealogy research before I left. In two weeks I got my information along with an apology for the delay.

helen.oconnor@ireland.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: