Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Roscommon to Scotland

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dot Hicks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Roscommon to Scotland Reply with quote

My ancestors went from Rooskey to Scotland in the 1860's. Does anyone have any ideas which route they might have taken? I know they were in Ireland in 1864, and I know for certain they were in Edinburgh in 1868.

Dot Hicks

dot@hicks56.freeserve.co.uk

Terry McCormick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Roscommon to Scotland Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My ancestors went from Rooskey to Scotland in the 1860's. Does anyone have any ideas which route they might have taken? I know they were in Ireland in 1864, and I know for certain they were in Edinburgh in 1868.

: Dot Hicks

Do my ancestors came from Kilglass to Edinburgh at the same time , were paid by Joseph Kincaid to vacate how did you find out yours came from Rooskey

tmccormick2@ec.rr.com

ann o'rorke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Roscommon to Scotland Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My ancestors went from Rooskey to Scotland in the 1860's. Does anyone have any ideas which route they might have taken? I know they were in Ireland in 1864, and I know for certain they were in Edinburgh in 1868.

: Dot Hicks

Hi there,
I found many Irish from Roscommon around 30 Graham St. Edinburgh in the 1881 census. They spoke Gaelic and many worked in the Linlithgow Oil & shale mines at champfleurie and other nearby places, Tranant, Haddington etc. My ancestor James Rorke aged 20 years left Roscommon in 1864 and joined other family members in Edinburgh. I used the LDS site checking marriages and births for mid lothian, west lothian and east lothian and cross referenced family names doing each one separately. Other family names were Gilhooly, Wynn, Early and Keefe all from Roscommon many from the Kilronan parish near Keadue and Boyle. An old aunt gave me the clue that they all came from around Lough Allan and Aringa.
Good luck with your search
Ann

annbrownell@hotmail.com

Dot Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Roscommon to Scotland Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: : My ancestors went from Rooskey to Scotland in the 1860's. Does anyone have any ideas which route they might have taken? I know they were in Ireland in 1864, and I know for certain they were in Edinburgh in 1868.

: : Dot Hicks

: Do my ancestors came from Kilglass to Edinburgh at the same time , were paid by Joseph Kincaid to vacate how did you find out yours came from Rooskey

Some of them kept in touch with relatives who remained in Rooskey. There was contact as far as I can work out up to the 1930's, when 2 young men from the Scottish family paid a visit to "Bridget" in Rooskey. I have a post card they send home, sadly, it did not give Bridgets surname.

dot@hicks56.freeserve.co.uk

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: