Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Republican activity in Roscommon c1915

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of any written sources dealing with Republican activity in the Roscommon area in the years around 1915. A relative of mine, Hubert Nerney, a Republican, left the Curraghroe area in 1915 for the USA. An aunt tells me this was because of the threat posed by the Black and Tans in the area. Any help gratefully received.

Brian@barryb80.fsnet.co.uk

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Is anyone aware of any written sources dealing with Republican activity in the Roscommon area in the years around 1915. A relative of mine, Hubert Nerney, a Republican, left the Curraghroe area in 1915 for the USA. An aunt tells me this was because of the threat posed by the Black and Tans in the area. Any help gratefully received.

Hi Brian, The only online information I know of online is at

http://www.poli-sci.utah.edu/~kl3240/KGLfiles/Disstext/Chapter%205.htm

Many men also left Ireland at that time because of “conscription scares,” as you will see here. Btw, the Black & Tans didn’t arrive until 1920. But the RIC before that time did intimidate activists, beating them and threatening and attempting to kill some of them.

There is a book by Miceal O’Callahan (former editor of the Roscommon Herald -- the book was printed by the Herald) that details the fighting and resistance in Roscommon during that period (actually even starting before that time, going back to the Fenians – the story about Ned Duffy). The book is titled “For Ireland and Freedom, Roscommon’s Contribution to the Fight for Irish Independence.” It is out of print, but I recall someone on this site mentioning where you might be able to get a copy. Best wishes, Bob.

Kathleen Hegarty Thorne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

I am an American author who is currently writing a book about the War for Independence and Civil War in County Roscommon. I have spent ten years researching this project, so I think I have a pretty fair idea of the goings on during this time.Firstly about your ancestor---part of my book includes a listing of all the men and women who aided in the war effort within the county. The listing is over 250 type written pages and includes names, companies, activities during the War( when known), and what the person did after the War, death date, and place of burial. I find no surname of Nerney in the Curraghroe area. I do have several Nearys who lived nearby. They may have been relatives of your ancestor (given the differences of spelling). Also the time frame of your family lore is a wee bit off. If indeed your ancestor emigrated in 1915, he came to America long before the Black and Tans showed up in Roscommon. The Easter Rising happened in 1916, the local Volunteer companies (later renamed the Irish Republican Army) formed as active fighting units in 1918-1919, and the Black and Tans, which were the British response to all this upheavel in the country, did not come to Roscommon until 1920. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about your family member

kthorne@teleport.com

Mary Lee Dunn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: I am an American author who is currently writing a book about the War for Independence and Civil War in County Roscommon. I have spent ten years researching this project, so I think I have a pretty fair idea of the goings on during this time.Firstly about your ancestor---part of my book includes a listing of all the men and women who aided in the war effort within the county. The listing is over 250 type written pages and includes names, companies, activities during the War( when known), and what the person did after the War, death date, and place of burial. I find no surname of Nerney in the Curraghroe area. I do have several Nearys who lived nearby. They may have been relatives of your ancestor (given the differences of spelling). Also the time frame of your family lore is a wee bit off. If indeed your ancestor emigrated in 1915, he came to America long before the Black and Tans showed up in Roscommon. The Easter Rising happened in 1916, the local Volunteer companies (later renamed the Irish Republican Army) formed as active fighting units in 1918-1919, and the Black and Tans, which were the British response to all this upheavel in the country, did not come to Roscommon until 1920. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about your family member

Hi, Kathleen,

Your project sounds fascinating. Please let us know when your book is published.

Mary Lee Dunn

MaryLDunn@aol.com

Colleen O'Neill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: I am an American author who is currently writing a book about the War for Independence and Civil War in County Roscommon. I have spent ten years researching this project, so I think I have a pretty fair idea of the goings on during this time.Firstly about your ancestor---part of my book includes a listing of all the men and women who aided in the war effort within the county. The listing is over 250 type written pages and includes names, companies, activities during the War( when known), and what the person did after the War, date, and place of burial. I find no surname of Nerney in the Curraghroe area. I do have several Nearys who lived nearby. They may have been relatives of your ancestor (given the differences of spelling). Also the time frame of your family lore is a wee bit off. If indeed your ancestor emigrated in 1915, he came to America long before the Black and Tans showed up in Roscommon. The Easter Rising happened in 1916, the local Volunteer companies (later renamed the Irish Republican Army) formed as active fighting units in 1918-1919, and the Black and Tans, which were the British response to all this upheavel in the country, did not come to Roscommon until 1920. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about your family member

Colleen O'Neill Conlan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

Kathleen,
My relatives are Nearys, who lived in Callow in Co. Roscommon. Would it be possible to share the Neary information from your research? When do you expect to publish?

conlan@midcoast.com

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: I am an American author who is currently writing a book about the War for Independence and Civil War in County Roscommon. I have spent ten years researching this project, so I think I have a pretty fair idea of the goings on during this time.Firstly about your ancestor---part of my book includes a listing of all the men and women who aided in the war effort within the county. The listing is over 250 type written pages and includes names, companies, activities during the War( when known), and what the person did after the War, death date, and place of burial. I find no surname of Nerney in the Curraghroe area. I do have several Nearys who lived nearby. They may have been relatives of your ancestor (given the differences of spelling). Also the time frame of your family lore is a wee bit off. If indeed your ancestor emigrated in 1915, he came to America long before the Black and Tans showed up in Roscommon. The Easter Rising happened in 1916, the local Volunteer companies (later renamed the Irish Republican Army) formed as active fighting units in 1918-1919, and the Black and Tans, which were the British response to all this upheavel in the country, did not come to Roscommon until 1920. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about your family member

Hi, Kathleen. I’ll be looking forward to see your book when it’s published. My wife had relatives who were very active members of the East Mayo Brigade of the IRA. A good part of this unit operated in the western part of Roscommon, particularly around the Ballaghaderreen area. Will you also include these members in your book? I had relatives in the North Roscommon Brigade. Best Regards, Paul

Kathleen Hegarty Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

: Hi, Kathleen. I’ll be looking forward to see your book when it’s published. My wife had relatives who were very active members of the East Mayo Brigade of the IRA. A good part of this unit operated in the western part of Roscommon, particularly around the Ballaghaderreen area. Will you also include these members in your book? I had relatives in the North Roscommon Brigade. Best Regards, Paul

I am indeed including men from East Mayo when I am certain they took part in actions in Roscommon. Seamus Mulrennan (from Lisacul) led a flying column around Ballaghaderreen during the Civil War.That column easily crossed over the borders to engage. Do not know the names of all members of his column, though. Have also found names of men who fought with John Snee in the East Mayo Flying Column during the Civil War.They participated in the Battle of Boyle in July 1922 and other attacks. John was 100 years old when he died last year, but thankfully I had interviewed him a few years earlier.

If you desire, let me know thenames of your relatives in the North of Roscommon? I may have already unearthed their records. Kathleen Hegarty Thorne

kthorne@teleport.com

margaret jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

I am very interested in your book also Kathleen as I have ancestors who were IRA members around that time & may find some info regarding same.Could you E-mail me when the book is published & where it can be purchased.Sincerley MMJ

margjones41@hotmail.com

Seán McDermott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Republican activity in Roscommon c1915 Reply with quote

Very Interested in your book re obvious reason. Apart from Seán MacDiarmada being a family member my grandfather Laurence fought in the Civil War.

Do you have any info re Leitrim Men

spm@blueyonder.co.uk

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: