Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

BURKE lands in Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McWilliamofRushfield

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: BURKE lands in Roscommon Reply with quote

After many years of searching by my various relatives we have finally located the descendants of my McWILLIAM ancestors who were born in Co. Roscommon and emigrated out to New Zealand in 1863. My ggGrandfather, John Alexander McWILLIAM, was the only one of his family to remain in Ireland. One of these newfound relatives wrote a book on the McWILLIAM family story called "The McWilliam Saga: From Ireland to Australasia", a copy of which has just made its way to me. According to the book, John and Rebecca McWILLIAM made their home on a BURKE estate in Co. Roscommon, where John was the estate manager and the family resided in the gatehouse.

Can anyone help me to locate any BURKE holdings in Co. Roscommon around the 1840s? An old transcription of an oral history from Arthur McWILLIAM, late of Lisdaly, tells that his Grandparents lived at Camlin near Treanamarly Lough. There is a John WILLIAMS in the Griffiths data in that area, and I have learned through historians at Trinity College that surnames were not standardized until the mid-nineteenth century, so this could be my man.

This might be the key that will allow me to locate the marriage of my ggGrandparents, John Alexander and Phoebe (nee JOHNSTON) McWILLIAM. I believe they were married in Elphin, but that is less likely if John and Rebecca, John Alexander's parents, lived at Camlin when they emigrated. The family history from Arthur claims they were married in Killukin (or Killucan?), but there is no record of such a marriage at that church.

Any suggestion would be most welcome. Thanks very much for your time!
Sonja Harding
Ottawa Canada
McWilliamofRushfield

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow! Thanks so much for the info. I had the information from the 1901 census, which is delightfully accessible on this site. However I had never found my great-Grandfather in the LDS records. How wonderful that you did! I knew his year of birth but not his birth date.

I actually have made incredible discoveries in my research in the past three months in particular. I've found many of the descendants of my ggGrandfather's brothers and sisters. One of my relatives who was born in NZ after the family immigrated there actually has a mountain peak named for her! I've learned that McWilliam women are amazing people!

John and Rebecca McWilliam were allegedly living at the gatehouse of a Burke property in Co. Roscommon from approximately 1840 onward for about fifteen years. I'm anxious to learn where that property might be.

Incidentally, Ed, my brother lives in a town in South Carolina, U.S.A. called GAFFNEY! What a hoot! I'm going there in two weeks to visit. I hear their town logo is a huge peach-shaped water tower called the Peachoid! Can't wait to see it!

Thanks so much for all your efforts on my behalf. I'm travelling to Australia in May to meet my new-found kin and add my own lineage to their records. . .all 320+ of us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: