Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

The Henry Mahon and The Lord De Freyne Estates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppwalsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: The Henry Mahon and The Lord De Freyne Estates Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge of how these two large landholders treated their tenents and any history of their estates? My ancestors the Moyletts(Lord DeFreyne) and the Tiernans(Mahon) were tenents on their property and I was interested in learning some background.
Thanks,
M. Walsh
jonjoe47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On November 2, 1847, Major Mahon heir to the Mahon estates and owner of Strokestown House was murdered by a group of tenants, brought about by outrage amongst the peasantry because of the mass evictions he had set in motion. A number of people were later hanged. This caused great outrage amongst the ruling classes which resulted in even more draconian measures being taken against the peasantry. As a result, the Mahon family are associated with the worst excesses of the ruling elite at the time of the famine. Ironically, Strokestown House is now the location of the Famine Museum.
Robert James Scally's book, The End of Hidden Ireland, documents these events in great detail.

I understand the De Freyne's were relatively benign compared with other landlords, although I have read of tenants burning an effigy of Lord de Freyne, outside his gate during the famine. There is less documentation on this family.
mppwalsh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try to locate the book you mentioned. I would be interested in reading it.
I located both Families in Griffith's Valuation. Due to lack of other records, I have to assume that both families survived the famine and went on to farm about 25-30 acres each.
Thanks again,
M. Walsh
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use LDS films to check the change of occupiers
of land from Griffith’s Valuation to c1920

Leased from De Freyne:
Moylett in Slieveroe townland. LDS film 867977

Leased from Mahon:
Tiernan in Pollnamoghil townland – LDS film 867955.
Tiernan in Tullycarton townland – LDS film 868126
Tiernan in Cregga townland – LDS film 868126

John
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use LDS films to check the change of occupiers
of land from Griffith’s Valuation to c1920

Leased from De Freyne:
Moylett in Slieveroe townland. LDS film 867977

Leased from Mahon:
Tiernan in Pollnamoghil townland – LDS film 867955.
Tiernan in Tullycarton townland – LDS film 868126
Tiernan in Cregga townland – LDS film 868126

Suggest you check the 1901 Census on this website for Mylet, Mylott and Tiernan

John
mppwalsh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I purchased "Resource County Roscommon" CD from the New England Genealogy Society. Its a great research tool. I now have to get myself to the nearest LDS center and request the files. Probable should make a trip to Salt Lake City, must easier and quicker.
My ancesters are Patrick Moylett and most likely Farrell(Slieveroe)Lord DeFreyne Estate, in Griffiths Val and 1901 Census. Same for James Tiernan (Tullycartron) Mahon Estate and Connor(Cloonroughan).
I was also able to find End of Hidden Ireland by Robert Scally on Amazon.com and that should give me some background.
Thanks for yor help,
M. Walsh
siskabob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please visit our website

WWW.ballykilcline.com

You will find a great deal of helpful information and feel free to contact us. There is a Contact link on the site.
morton1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The De Freyne estate records are held in Dublin are very informative. If you want details please do not hesitate to contact me. William
jonjoe47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing more about the De Freyne family and how I may consult the archives. Some mebers of my family had connections with the De Freynes.
morton1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Defreyne records are held at the National Library, Kildare Street, Dublin. There are 6/7 large boxes of material but these are all unsorted so we had to look through every box. The records start as early as the 16th century and go through to the 1920s. They contain much original material which has never been used. Lease details, maps, letters by Defreyne, letters from the archbishop of Dublin, letters from the war front (FWW) etc. List of lessees in Roscommon and their holdings. it would take at least four person days to go through the material as you do not know what you are going to find in each box - not like a supermarket shop!

I have the references for each box which I have misplaced but will post soon. The keeper of the records is Mr. Lyne whose email you can get from the web site for the National Library.

I do hope this is useful as I have already have two enquiries by other people interested in the records.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: