Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Roscommon Carneys pre-1856

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Carney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Roscommon Carneys pre-1856 Reply with quote

Hi-
I just added this information to the surname list. I'm entering it here in hopes someone will see it & come up with a connection.
Thanks for looking:

County: Roscommon
Civil Parish: Elphin
Townland: ?
Related Surname Info: Only known reference is a letter written to the bishop of Elphin by American Civil War veteran James Carney in 1912-13. Response from Fr. MacDonald (4/13) in Elphin finds no record of birth or baptism. James and his American immigrant siblings info below is all that is known:

James Carney (says, at variious times:) b.11/1/1830 - 11/1/1837 (probably the correct date) - emigrated to Thompsonville CT about 1857. Married Elizabeth O\'Leary 11/24/1859. Lived in Albany NY from 1/1863. Left family 1880. Lived near Bath and Pultney, Steuben Co. NY until pensioned 1894. d. 10/1915 Hampton-Elizabeth City National Hospital in VA.
Bridget Carney (Mrs. James Harris) in Thompsonville before James
Margaret Carney (not married) Springfield Mass.
Catherine Carney (Mrs. John Monroe) Springfield Mass.
Had daughter Annie Monroe m. William Greely.
Daniel Carney d. Fall River Mass. between 1876-1881
Michael Carney Cleveland OH, d. before American Civil War (began 4/61).
The only other info we have on the immigrant generation is that James had a married first cousin Peter Carney in Albany NY, who had a son Thomas and (unmarried) daughter Kate.
James served with the 43d NYSVI from 12/61 until discharged in 11/65.
Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Have you checked James Carney's Naturalization Records. The originals for the New England area are at Waltham, MA. They were asked the town and county where born. He may not have finalized Naturalization, but only filed a "Declaration of Intention". I believe they are indexed. Often a lot more info on the Declaration than on the Naturalization.

Also the Index cards for the Civil War vets sometimes give the home town as well as the county in Ireland. Let me know if you have gone this route. If not, I will dig in my files for more accurate and detailed info.

Good luck
Nuala
Murph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: CARNEY Reply with quote

Our Roscommon family had a Carney who came in by marriage around 1920. Her family was from County Sligo.
Murph
Eugene O'Brien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an Eleanor Carney who was the wife of Patrick Fallon. I would guestimate she was born circa 1820-1825. Perhaps she was a relative to your James Carney. This Fallon family lived in:

Townland: Ballyglass
Civil Parish: Cloontuskert
Barony: Ballintober South
County: Roscommon
PLU (Poor Law Union): Roscommon
Province: Connaught
Diocese: Elphin

But there were no Carney's in Ballyglass shown in the 1857 Griffith's Valuation or the 1826-1838 Tithe Applotment Book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: