Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Donnelly, Holohan, McGowan and Carrigan families - Cloone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Edmunds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Donnelly, Holohan, McGowan and Carrigan families - Cloone Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently searching for info on my Irish ancestors, who left Leitrim between 1845-51 during the Famine, going first to Dundee working in the Jute trade, and eventually on to the East End of London around 1882.

I do not know the exact town parish they were from, but do know it was in the Cloone-Conmaicne, Roman Catholic Parish, Diocese of Ardagh. I am hoping someone here may have access to their records and be good enough to help me.

This is the info I have on my ancestors so far from Dundee Records"

James Donnelly, a Mason, married Bridget McGowan 1823 Cloone-Conmaicne (Have seen her name also spelt McGoan, MaGooan and even as McEwan in Scottish records)

Interested in any children they may have had 1823-1848

Chilrden that appear on the censi in Dundee are as Follows

Mary
Catherine b.1832 circa
Margaret b.1835 circa (most important to me my 3xgreat grandmother)
Cormack b.1838 circa
Andrew b.1842 circa

Sure there must have been others though.

Bridget is a widow on 1851 census, so James presumably died in the famine.
Bridget died herself in Dundee 1866, age given as 56 approx.

They also bought with them a young man called James Holohan, who it seems was orphaned of both his parents and perhaps any siblings too in the famine. He went on to marry Margaret in 1856, in St Andrews Catholic Church Dundee, and was my 3x great grandfather.

His occupation in 1851 was a reed maker and age given as 15, which gives a birth date of around 1835, though on latter census he is a bit flaky and could conceivably have been born as early as 1829/30.

I know from his death certificate he was the son of Thomas Holohan, a Cobler, and Mary Holohan nee Carrigan. I can't be 100% certain he is from Cloone, Leitrim too and came with them. But since he is living alone with them from the earliest Scottish census seems quite likely.

Any info greatfully received

Richard
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard
I have e-mailed you about your Donnellys. I have now looked at the Cloone records for your Holohan connection and can find none. I also have the Aughavas records but since they only start in 1843 we won't get anything there.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: