Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Royal Irish Constabulary Casualties from Co Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOUGHREE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Royal Irish Constabulary Casuaties from Co Roscommon Reply with quote

Hello,

I was just wondering had anyone any RIC casualties in their family.

I am trying to trace the burials of the following people, dates are when died.

Regards,

Loughree

WALLACE PETER SGT 13/05/1919
FINN WILLIAM CONST 09/04/1920
FOLEY MARTIN CONST 21/06/1920
KELLY MICHAEL CONST 22/09/1920
LEONARD THOMAS CONST 25/09/1920
DILLON THOMAS CONST 24/11/1920
SHANNON PETER CONST 17/12/1920
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For details of RIC members who were killed on duty, visit

www.policememorial.org.uk/Forces/IRELAND/RIC_Roll.htm

Suggest you do a "Google Search" for Royal Irish Constabulary".

John
LOUGHREE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Royal Irish Constabulary Casuaties from Co Roscommon Reply with quote

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply.

The RIC Memorial Roll is where have got my information from, that and a Book called Police Casualties in Ireland 1919-1922 by Richard Abbot.

I am trying to locate the burial place of those killed where possible, and of course any surviving relatives.

Other names for 1921 and 1922;

CARTY STEPHEN SGT 13/01/1921
SATCHWELL THOMAS CONST 22/02/1921
HUGHES JOHM WILLIAM SGT 16/03/1921
OMEARA REYNOLDS CHARLES CONST 16/03/1921
DEVEREUX WILLIAM CONST 22/03/1921
FALLON MARTIN CONST 03/05/1921
McCORMACK THOMAS SGT 08/05/1921
BRIDGES THOMAS CONST 14/05/1921
COONEY JOSEPH CONST 01/06/1921
FEENEY MARTIN CONST 02/06/1921
DOHERTY JOHN CONST 02/06/1921
EARLY PATRICK JOSEPH SGT 29/03/1922
GREER MARTIN JOHN CONST 23/02/1921
GREER JAMES SGT RTD May-22
GREER THOMAS CADET RTD May-22

Regards,

Loughree
Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My great uncle John Flaherty was killed 16 October 1920 in Bishop's Street, Derry city. (See write up in Richard Abbotts book) He is buried in Roscommon, either at Sacred Heart Cemetary, Roscommon town or in St. Coman's in Ardsallagh, Roscommon town. I will find out for sure in the next couple of weeks as I will be in Ireland.
John Flaherty was born in Easterfield )(aka Cornacask), Galway county, in the Catholic parish of Athleague & Fuerty. His mother and siblings moved to Carrowroe Park, Roscommon Parish, Barony of Ballintobber South, around the time of his assasination. He was a 24 year veteran of the RIC. He left a wife and two yound children. His name is incribed on a plaque in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England.

Will be in touch again
Nuala
henry-owens-strokestown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: RIC burials Reply with quote

Const. Wallace and Carty are buried in Bumlin Cemetery, Strokestown, Co Roscommon. There graves may not be marked.
Harry
peter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: R I C from Roscommon Reply with quote

I have a Sgt John Shanagher, killed at Ashbourne in 1916, interred in Killina cemetary.
If anybody has Cons Francis King, supposedly killed in Co Carlow in 1887,interred in same cemetary, please contact me.
Peter.
kevin.lonie@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: John Flaherty - RIC Shot Oct 1920 Reply with quote

Nuala wrote:
My great uncle John Flaherty was killed 16 October 1920 in Bishop's Street, Derry city. (See write up in Richard Abbotts book) He is buried in Roscommon, either at Sacred Heart Cemetary, Roscommon town or in St. Coman's in Ardsallagh, Roscommon town. I will find out for sure in the next couple of weeks as I will be in Ireland.
John Flaherty was born in Easterfield )(aka Cornacask), Galway county, in the Catholic parish of Athleague & Fuerty. His mother and siblings moved to Carrowroe Park, Roscommon Parish, Barony of Ballintobber South, around the time of his assasination. He was a 24 year veteran of the RIC. He left a wife and two yound children. His name is incribed on a plaque in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England.

Will be in touch again
Nuala
Very Happy Very Happy

This man was my grandmothers first husband. I am the family historian and I have a lot more to share. I have a copy of the 1914 wedding Photo - its stunning ! The two children Teresa & Mollie (Mary Catherine) came out to New Zealand in 1923, with the second husband,my grandfather David Mark, my mother is from the second marriage. John only has two grandchildren and they want to make contact with your family. They are both married and have children and one of them has grandchildren. They know nothing of their Flaherty family - there was no link until now.

Please email me, my user name is my email.

Kevin
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constable Martin Foley, Cloonbella, was baptised Castlerea, July 29, 1888. He was son of Michael Foley and Anne Freeman.
I, too would like to know his burial place.
LOUGHREE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in the RIC in South Roscommon, please see:

http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/Misc/Military/ric/ric.htm
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/Misc/Military/ric/ric.htm

and today post on Rootschat

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,249667.0.html

John
davbrid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather was an RIC man from Drumshanbo in Co. Leitrim. His name was Robert Bridges and his father was Jeremiah Bridges from Behe in Roscommon. I think Thomas Bridges was a cousin of my grandfather
Paul Browne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Constable Martin Foley Reply with quote

Constable Martin Foley...died in the Merlin Park Ambush...just outside of Galway city on the then Dublin Road mid-way between Galway and Oranmore where he had been stationed 21/08/1920.

My grandfather Constable Thomas Browne was also injured during this incident. I have been trying to locate the grave of Constable Foley...knowing that his remains were removed to his native Castlerea.

I would be pleased to hear from any local historian on the location of the cemetery where he was buried.

I can email anyone a full contemporanious account of the incident as reported in the Connacht Tribune

pbrowne@iol.ie
Mike Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

As Martin Foley was born in the townland of Curreentorpan in the old civil parish of Tibohine which is now incorporated in the present Catholic parishes of Fairymount and Loughglynn. I would guess Martin was buried in one of the cemeteries close to his townland. I'm not familiar with these cemeteries but there is a listing on the Roscommon County Council website

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/burialgrounds/Search.aspx

Hope this helps.

Mike Lennon
Paul Browne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike I'll follow up any leads I receive
Paul Browne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to the village of Fairymount, Castlerea, Co Roscommon today 24 April...and as Mike Lennon suggested sure enough I was able to find the grave of the Foley family. Martin Foley's parents had erected one of the finest headstones of its type in the graveyard over the remains of their son Martin Foley ...Currenturpane died 21st August 1920.

His parents were Thomas & Winifred Foley ...also their grave now.

Thank you very much Michael for your tip off...I went straight away, I've been enquiring for years, I knew my late grandfather who was hospitalised with injuries of his own at the time could not have attended the funeral of his fallen colleague so I was proud to visit his grave on behalf of him today. I have photos if anyone needs them. pbrowne@iol.ie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: