Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Scullion, Scollon, Scollin, Scollan near to Glenfarne
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Scullion, Scollon, Scollin, Scollan near to Glenfarne Reply with quote

I am fairly new to genealogy and this site I have traced my Gt.
Grandfather John Scullion (born circa 1884) to S/Ireland County Leitrim in the vicinity of Glenfarne (Cloonclare?) He left for Scotland at some point and married my Gt. Gran Susan Crawford in Hamilton 1907.

According to their wedding cert John Scullion's
father was an Owen Scullion and his mother Maria Green.

I realise some of you folks may have access to more info than is available here (...and more ability to interpret same)

Any ideas welcome

Last edited by redted on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
roger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the 1901 census data for all households in Co. Leitrim with the surname starting with "sc". There were 45 entries and I could not find a family that matched the information you provided. I would presume that the family left for Scotland before March 31st 1901.

Roger McDonnell
redted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found an Owen Scollan on the Later Day Saints site http://www.familysearch.org
with a date of birth showing 12/08/1877 Cloonclare, Leitrim
is there any way of checking this Owen as a possible link to my ancestory
his spouse is shown as Mary Magrenary are the similarity in names ie Maria Green(for Mary Magrenary) sufficient to presume this Owen is a sibling of my Gt.Grand father.

any suggestions welcome
redted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the foregoing I have searched the the 1901 database for names begining 'sc' in the Parish Cloonclare and got one hit this is
Patrick Scollion(26)(therefore born circa 1875) residing in Carrickrevagh
with his wife Annie(19)and sister Mary Ann(19)

This townland appears by comparing the LR maps site with modern maps, to include the town of Glenfarne.

The years of birth, locality and geography would give the impression of them being siblings of My Gt Grandfather John Scullion Bn circa 1884 but

Is there anyone able to back up the hunch with something more concrete Question
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrickrevagh townland is in Cloonclare Civil parish and Cloonclare Catholic parish (Kilmore Diocese).

Carrickrevagh townland 1834/4 Tithe Applotment records - see LDS fim 256590

Carrickrevagh townland 1856 Griffith’s Valuation records – see LDS film 844986.

Owen Scollin occupied land in Carrickrevagh townland at both the Tithe Applotment and at Griffith’s Valuation. See
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~shalvoyresearch/Research/Shalvoygriffiths.htm

Carrickrevagh townland Change of occupiers of land 1856 – c1920 see LDS film 846176

For Cloonclare parish maps see
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/cloonclare_cp.html

and

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/cloonclare.html

John
James McCabe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Scollan Cornaon Fenagh Reply with quote

Patruick Scollan born 1843
Married Rose Gallogly from Aughavas in Cloone 1872
Children John 19 Mar 1874
Patrick 1878
Rose 1882
Jane 1886
Thomas 1 Mar 1893 married Ann Gallogly

Ant Connections?
Karen Elias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few other children for Patrick Scollan and Rose Galloghy on LDS. They show a Catherine born 16 Dec 1872, John born 19 Mar 1874, Mary 16 May 1875 and Patrick 2 Jul 1877 in Knockroosk.

It appears that this family was living in Knockroosk (Fenagh) in the 1901 census. No wife was listed. There was, however, a Rose Scollan age 49 living in Cornagon. She was married and her husband was "likely Patrick". Could this be the same family? Checking the maps on this site it looks like Cornagon and Knockroosk are adjoining.

I found a Jane Scollan going through Ellis Island in 1910. Her age was 23. She was going to her sister, Mrs. Manning, in New Haven Ct. Her father was listed as Patrick of Corragon.

Then was was Rose Scollin age 21 of Adoon. She arrived at Ellis Island in 1902. She was going to her cousin Mrs. Burns who lived in Brooklyn. A few lines down that page were Maggie Scollan age 50 and her daughter Kate age 16. They were from Ballinamore. They were also going to Mrs. Burns in Brooklyn (same street address). Mrs. Burns was listed as a sister. Maggie and Kate were living in Knockroosk in the 1901 census. Finally Thomas Scollan was found going through Ellis Island in 1911. He was of Ballinamore and going to his sister Rose who lived in NYC.

Are Rose and Thomas children of Patrick Scollan and Rose Gallogly? How are Maggie and Kate connected?

As far as the Scollans in Carrickrevagh, LDS shows 4 children born to Owen Scollan and Mary McGrainry/MacGreany. They were Bridget 31 Jan 1868, Margaret 13 Fwb 1869, Mary 15 Oct 1871 and Owen 12 Aug 1877 (Cloonclare). Owen and Mary were married in 1867.

There were other Scollans in that area (LDS):

Eugene Scallon and Cecilia Clancy had a son Thomas in 1859 Could this be a first marriage for Owen? He was listed as Eugene when he was married Mary McGrainry.

Thomas Scollan and Honor Clancy were married in 1861 and had 5 children listed. Place names were Cloonclare and Manorhamilton.

Edward Keany married Elenora (Ellen) Scollan in 1867 and two births were shown.

Charles MacGreanry married Rose Scollan in 1848. A child was born to Charles Green and Rose Scollan in 1866. Same family?

Cormack Scollan married Margaret Mawn in 1868...births of two children are shown. He was living in Cleggan in Cloonclare in 1901 as Cormac Sullon/Scullan age 69 and a widower.

The easiest way (but not the least expensive) to learn how these families are connected and if they are related to John Scullion of Hamilton Scotland would be to contact the Leitrim Genealogy Centre. The other way, of course, would be to use the microfilms from Latter Day Saints and check for baptisms and changes of land ownership as was mentioned in another post.

We descend from a Scollin family that lived near Drumshanbo and who emigrated to Danbury Connecticut during the Famine. We are looking for any information about that family and have been gathering Leitrim Scollan/Scollin etc information for a few years trying to make a connection. If anyone has any Scollan information that they would ike to share with us, we would be very appreciative. We hope eventually to post what we have learned on our Shalvoy/Scollin website (mentioned above at the Shalvoy research link).

Hope this information helps.
James McCabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Thomas & Rose Scollan Reply with quote

Tomas & Rose Scollan are brother & sister
Thomas went back to Ireland married Ann Gallogly from Drumraine, Oughteragh Leitrim died 1991
The Scallons live on both Carnagonn & Knockroosk
In later years Thomas returned to America he died in NJ

Thomas Scallon son Sean was a great Irish Footballer
In Ireland & NYC he won many awards.
Played in The Polo Grounds in 1940
He is said to be the best that evey came from Leitrim
redted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have taken the time to assist...
although I have to admit I am struggling to make much sense of it all (..nobody said it would be easy ..)

Karen thank you again (I have tried the LDS site but don't seeem able to obtain the info you have posted..!! is there a course available !!)

John Hunter - the LDS film numbers quoted can these be viewed on line if so 'simple' instructions would be appreciated or are they only availble through Family History societies?

Please keep the help coming as you may be able to tell I need all I can get!!
redted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Owen Scullion Reply with quote

I have now discovered that Owen Scullion my gtgt grandfather, appears on the 1901 census of Scotland aged 45(bn.c1856) he is a widower and what appears to be his son John Scullion aged 18 (bn.c1883) residing on the same street in Dalziel Parish(currently referred to as Motherwell district) as a lodger with another family.

I can find no trace of his death certification in Scotland and suspect he may have returned to Ireland.

Where is the best place to check for this?
redted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of an update to the foregoing, I have used the new on-line service at http://leitrim.brsgenealogy.com

and have confirmed my suspicion that my Gt Grandfather John Scullion was born 1884 in Carrickrevagh, Cloonclare as John Scollan, to Owen Scollan and Mary MacGrenary...

I have also viewed the marriage info for them and it confirms the earlier suggestion by Karen Elias that the name Owen was occasionally rendered as Eugene, they married 4/3/1867 and there first child was Bridget bn.31/1/1868 reg'd under Manorhamilton Civil (as previously indicated on IGI).
The informant /sponsor was recorded as Cicily Scollan?

Offspring from IGI are as follows

BRIDGET SCOLLAN Female Birth: 31 JAN 1868 Leitrim, Ireland
Father: OWEN SCOLLAN+Mother: MARY MC GRAINRY
Batch No.: C014080

MARGARET SCOLLAN
Female Birth:13 FEB 1869, Leitrim, Ireland
Father: OWEN SCOLLAN, Mother: MARY MCGRAINRA
Batch No.:C012005

MARY SCOLLAN Female Birth: 15 NOV 1871, Leitrim, Ireland
Father: OWEN SCOLLAN, Mother: MARY MCGRAINRY
Batch no.C014067

OWEN SCOLLAN Male Birth: 12 AUG 1877 Cloonclare, Leitrim, Ireland
Father: Owen Scollan+Mother: Mary Scollan Magrenary
Batch No.C007267

THOMAS SCOLLAN
Male Birth: 13 OCT 1878 Carrickerevagh, , Leitrim, Ireland
Father: Owen Scollan + Mother: Mary Magrenary Scollan,
Batch No:C042302

I have just spent the last of my credits on the birth/baptism of Thomas Scollan, and the only additional info over and above IGI, was a sponsors name which was also Thomas Scollan(if this is the one who married Honor Clancy is unknown)

Since my last post I have been contacted by a possible relative who has done research on the area please find a link to the history section of his web site relating to the Tottenhams of Glenfarne Hall...

http://www.blacklion.ie/history/tottenhams_of_glenfarne_hall.htm

I found this of interest as it appears to have been very close to my ancestral origins of Carrickrevagh.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the 1857 Griffith’s Valuation of Carrickrevagh townland, Owen Scullon occupied 13 acres, 0 roods and 8 perches. Total value £3 pounds 10 shillings. If you look at the LDS change of occupier film I listed earlier you will find when Owen left this land.

At Griffith’s Valuation James, Owen, Brigid and Thomas Greene occupied land in nearby Annagh townland.

Search the 1901 Census of Leitrim for the the surname Sc.
Annagh townland 1901 Census
McGrenery Anne(36)
McGrenery Charles(70)
McGrenery John(64)
McGrenery James(62)

The LDS British Isles Vital records set of 16 CDs lists the following Civil births:
SCOLLAN, Bridget Birth
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1868 Birthplace: 281, Manor Hamilton, Leit, Ire
Recorded in: Leitrim, Ireland
Collection: Civil Registration
Father: Owen SCOLLAN
Mother: Mary MC GRAINRY
Source: FHL Film 101161 Dates: 1868 - 1869
SCOLLAN, Bridget Birth
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1868 Birthplace: 281, Manor Hamilton, Leit, Ire
Mother: Mary MC GRAINRY
Source: FHL Film 101161 Dates: 1868 - 1869
SCOLLAN, Margaret Birth
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1869 Birthplace: 279, Manorhamilton, Leit, Ire
Mother: Mary MCGRAINRA
Source: FHL Film 101181 Dates: 1869 - 1870
SCOLLAN, Mary Birth
Birth Date: 15 Nov 1871 Birthplace: 260, Manor Hamilton, Leit, Ire
Mother: Mary MCGRAINRY

260, Manor Hamilton means the entry is to be found on page 260 of the Manorhamilton register of Civil Births. The LDS film consists of photos of the birth register. The birth entry will show birth townland and father’s name.

John
redted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again John for your info ...

The Scollan births info corroborates the info I had found on LDS. I will have a look at the Mcgrenry details you have found. Ever time I see the name it is spelt in a different format !! Just to keep it interesting.!!

How do I go about viewing the images/film you have mentioned?

Do I have to find a LDS Family history Library, that is all still a bit of a mystery for me!!
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to examine the LDS microfilm. To find your nearest LDS library, visit

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

In Australia you can look at the films at major Public Libraries.

Your local library may hold copies of John Grenham's "Tracing your Irish Ancestors" third edition, and the "Resource County Leitrim 2006" CD.

Suggest visit http://www.leitrimcoco.ie/Departments/Library/Local+Collection.htm

Email Mary Conefrey, local history library.

Ask Mary to check Scollan in the National School records held in the local history library for: Ardmoneen National School.
Ardmoneen N.S. Daily Report Book: 1891 - 1969
Ardmoneen N.S. Roll Book: 1867 – 1899
Ardmoneen N.S. Roll Book: 1900 – 1969
See the Leitrim-roscommon map page on this website for the location of Ardmoneen townland.

John
James McCabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Happy endinf Reply with quote

I found picture of John Sccollan
Played for 1923 Leitrim Team in NYC GAA

Mailed picture to the family
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: