Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Great Map Resource for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efinn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Great Map Resource for Ireland Reply with quote

I recently received an email from a researcher (John Parke) who requested information regarding maps of Ireland with co-ordinates. I did not have access to any maps with co-ordinates, but remembered that several years ago I received a similar request from an organization in Ireland that was working on a site that would produce maps using a GIS overlay. I couldn't find any of my original emails but wrote back to John and suggested that he do a Google search using a few supplied keywords to see if he might be able to locate this site. Additionally I asked John to drop me an email if he was successful in his search. This morning I found a reply from John that contained the following link:

http://maps.epa.ie/InternetMapViewer/mapviewer.aspx

I went out to the above site and in a very short amount of time was viewing the plot of land and the still existing homestead where my great grandfather lived and raised his family.

The map requires a fair amount of navigating using PAN, ZOOM IN and ZOOM OUT buttons while clicking on the map to eventually get to your desired location. However, I'm sure that most researchers will be able to master these mouse clicks in a short period of time. There is a small little map in the upper right side of the page that contains outlines of where the various counties are located. Start your search by first clicking in this map to place you in the right county. From there you can then move to the main map in the center of the page and start your "homing in" process. As you "home in" on your desired location, the map first starts off as a "road map" and as you zoom in it eventually turns into an actual image of the area of interest with enough resolution to make out the outlines of the homes and other relatively large objects.

Good luck finding your ancestor's homestead....

Ed Finn
Site Administrator
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent resource, Ed. Many thanks for the link.

Tom
Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! this is pretty cool! Takes a little getting used to, as you said, but well worth it. Thanks for this great resource link.
Nuala
Helen O'Connor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! Many thanks for the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: