Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Culleen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Culleen Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Looking for help to locate Culleen townland. It is mentioned in the parish registers for Killinvoy, Kilmain, Rahara & St. John's. Also mentioned in Roscommon county council site, graveyard hertiage area, that the RC church in Knockcroghery was built in 1885 to replace chapels in Ballymurry and Culleen.
Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for Brackna in the same district.
Thanks, Nuala
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The are no townlands named Culleen listed in the Index to Townlands at the 1851 Census of County Roscommon.
At the c1854 Griffith’s Valuation of County Roscommon there was a Catholic Chapel listed in
Killinvoy Civil parish – Knockcroghtery Catholic parish - Killeenrevagh townland.
See the map page at www.leitrim-roscommon.com
For details of Irish place names visit http://www.booksulster.com/library/plnm/placenamesC.php and check for Killeen and Culleen.
Killeen, the name of more than 80 townlands; nearly all from Cillin a little church; but a few from Coillin, a little wood.
Culleen; Coillin, little wood.
Cullen; Cuillionn [Cullen], holly, holly land
Unquote
For the RC parochial records for Killinvoy & Killmain (C) 1841-1881 - (M) 1841-1881. See the LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs (www.familysearch.org costs about $20.00 including postage) or LDS film 989752.
Ask in your local library for the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD. It contains the complete Griffith’s Valuation of County Roscommon, source material and 126 maps.
Cloonbrackna townland is in the adjoining Roscommon-Kilteevan Catholic parish.
Good luck in your research.
John
Nuala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much John for all your time and effort. You came to the same conclusions as I did, however "Culleen" (with that spelling), is clearly written in the Parish Register of Killinvoy, Kilmain, St. John's, FHL Film #989752. If it only appeared once or twice, I would put it down to incorrect spelling, however, it is mentioned several times in the baptisms, marriages and deaths areas of the original register. Film is very difficult to read.
What really made me think it was the correct name of some townland, was the reference on the Roscommon County Council site, graveyard survey, for the church in Knockcroghery in the notes section, it reads, "The church was built in 1885 to replace chapels at Ballymurray & Culleen. A tower and spire was added in 1950".
In the Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Monday, October 19, 1885; there is a write-up on the consecration of the Church, but no mention of where the people went ot Mass before that.
I was wondering if "Culleen" was a LOCAL name for some townland, because I have tried numerous other resources and no luck.
I posted a query several months ago on another townland, Kiltobar, in Kiltullagh Parish, and got nowhere with that one either, even though my cousins in Ireland knew the name, and it was definately a legitimate name for a place.
I have your Resource Roscommon CD John, and it is immensely helpful. Also have the BVRI set.
Thanks again, Nuala
Nuala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ed, really appreciate you taking the time. Would you please post the url so I can take a further look to see the complete article and dates.
Regards - Nuala
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuala,

I had exactly the same question - members of my family (from Gaily in Killinvoy, near Knockcroghery) were married in Culleen chapel in the early 1880s, and I suspect my great-grandparents were married there as well.

Culleen seems to be the local name for the townland Killeenrevagh (I suspect the Killeen- bit and Culleen are the same name originally), at the crossroads of the road to Killinvoy and the N61. The name is quite widely used locally, and appears on the civil registration marriage certificates, as well as in local newspapers (both old and modern).

The old chapel is still there, by the side of the N61, and is used as a community centre today, as Ed's post says. It has been restored and has a new roof, and looks like a surpisingly new building, but you can still see the pointed arches of the original dorrways and windows. The term Culleen still seems to be used in the locality for this location, although it does not appear on any of the maps I have seen.

I can send you a photo of the chapel if it's of interest.
Nuala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful Andrew! Thank you so much. Would very much appreciate photo of the hall. This is a new area of Roscommon research for me, so all help is welcome. I have no photos of Kilmeane Killinvoy area. My own line comes from Athleague/Fuerty.
Many thanks and would be glad to return the favour.
Nuala
Nuala

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Kat.

Thanks for the response. Culleen Hall or Culleen Townland? The Hall we know is in the village of Knockcroghery. There is some conjecture on the Townland.

Any info would be appreciated. Have the Films you mentioned. Not looking for people at this point, just the Townland written as "Culleen" in the Death Register Film #989752.

Thanks
Nuala
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: