Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Family from Tisrara Parish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKennedy1957

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Family from Tisrara Parish Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn more about possible family connections from Tisrara parish in Roscommon. My gr.gr.gr. grandmother's obituary indicates that she was from Tisrara. Her name was Catherine Dervan (also spelled Dervin, Dervanne, Derbin). She was married to Patrick Kane, so he may also have originally been from Tisrara but I have no additional information on him. Family lore actually has it that he was from County Donegal and fled to Roscommon with his family under cover of night. But now that I've learned that his wife was from Tisrara I wonder how that all fits together. They found their way to Baltimore Maryland around 1843. Their daughter Catherine married John Kenny also from Roscommon.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Distribution of Surnames in County Roscommon 1749-1901 lists Dervin, Divine and Kain in Tisrara Civil parish.
Some records of interest to you:
Ballyforan RC Parish Dysart and Tisara 1850 - 1881, LDS film 989755 Tisara (C) 1865-1871 - (M) 1865-1871.

C1857 Griffith’s Valuation. See http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/
Surname Given name Civil parish Townland
Dervin Valentine Tisrara Kilnagralta
Dervin Michael Tisrara Tibarney
Devine Hugh Tisrara Cloonakilleg
Devine Owen Tisrara Cloonakilleg
Devine Patrick Tisrara Cloonakilleg

Kain listed in Tisrara Civil parish Tithe Applotment records 1836.
Tisrara Civil parish Tithe Applotment records LDS film 256694 (1836)
Check Dervin in Tisrara Civil parish at the L_R 1901 Census extracted by Roger McDonnell of Phoenix. http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/
Search this Bulletin Board for posts on “Tisrara”, including details of a recent book.
Once you know the townland you can find details of change of occupiers of the land from c1856 to c1920.
John
JKennedy1957

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the search ideas. Since my known family members left around 1843, it's hard to know how to interpret data after they've gone to America. But from what I know Dervin is not a terribly common surname, so the ones you list are probably related. The tithe appointment listing for Kain is particularly interesting. I wonder, do those listings give forenames or only surnames?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: