Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Guiheen/Guihen family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imelda lively

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Guiheen/Guihen family Reply with quote

I am researching the Guiheen family from Derrynine Knockvicar. My great grandfather John (father James) married Mary Ann Flanagan in 1868. His residence is shown as Rover. Can anyone advise of whereabouts this place is. Thanks for any help

Imelda Lively
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imelda, in the "General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns,Parishes and Baronies of Ireland"....based on the 1851 census of Ireland there are two Rovers: Rover Upper and Rover Lower. Both are listed as being in County Roscommon, Barony of Boyle, Parish of Kilronan and in the Poor Law Union of Boyle. Hope this helps. Regards, Fiona
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t be set on the spelling of a surname. The County Roscommon Distribution of surnames 1749-1901 includes the following names:
Gouheen
Guigheen
Guihan
Guiheen
Guihen
Flanagan
Flanigan
27 Jan 1845 Patrick Guiheen married Anna McLaghlin in Ardcarn-Tumna (Cootehall) Catholic parish – see See LDS microfilm 989746 for names of witnesses, etc.
LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs lists:
GUIHEN, Bridget, birth, Gender: Female
Birth Date: 27 Nov 1868. Civil registration Page 103, Keadue Registrar’s District, Co Roscommon, Ireland.
Father: John GUIHEN, Mother: Mary FLANAGAN
Source: LDS FHL Film 101178
Rover Upper and Rover Lower townlands are in Keadue Registrar’s District.
For change of occupiers of land in Rover Upper and Rover Lower townlands from 1858 – 1920 see LDS film 867945.
For 1858 Griffiths Valuation of Rover Upper and Rover Lower townlands see LDS film 844992 Item 6, or
The Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD.
1858 Griffith’s Valuation lists:
Guiheen Michl. (Smith) Kilronan Civil pariah, Timpaun Townland, Keadue Catholic Parish (AC diocese)
And Guiheen Michl. jun Kilronan Civil pariah, Timpaun Townland, Keadue Catholic Parish (Ardagh & Clonmacnoise diocese).
For the 1833 Tithe Applotment records for Rover Upper and Rover Lower see LDS film 256652 (1833).
For Kilronan Catholic baptisms and marriages, Keadue, Arigna & Ballyfarnan 1824 - 1984 see LDS film 1279224 items 7-12.
For the location of Rover Upper and Rover Lower townlands see http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/kilronan.html.

Good luck in your research.

John Hunter
Keaveny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In records I have for the Kilronan Parish I found the following.
The entries do not indicate a townland but the father is a James and their is a son John. James Guihen and Bridget Scanlan had the following children. Anne, 4/2,/1836, Bernard, 8/2/1838, James, 9/9/1889, Honor, 1/12/1841, Patrick 12/2/1844, Eleanor 11/16/1846 and John 8/10/1848.

In later years their was a Daniel Guihen and Elaine Cullen in Lower Rover......Their children were maria. 8/16/1860. Bridget, 10/18/1861, Anne, 12/10/1864. and Catherine, 12/25/1868. Don't know if this information will help.....good luck...Ann
imelda lively

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: guihen/guiheen family Reply with quote

Hello Ed

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging your reply to my query. The last time I left a message I received an email to let me know that someone had replied. Unfortunately this time I did not receive an email so thought that there had been no replies. I happened to look at the site last night - purely by accident - and when I saw the replies I felt terrible. I really appreciate the effort that people make to help me in my research and would never intentionally not thank them fot their time and help.

I did have some of the information about the family of John and Mary Ann but I didn't know about Patrick and couldn't find my grandad James. I will look again under "Gooheen"
I had asked my mam if she knew where Rover was but she didn't know - I have found it on a parish history site for Kioronan.
I will have to go to our local Family History Centre and order some of the films. I have ordered them before but I know a little bit more now so hopefully may gleen some more information. I visited the London family History Centre and found the deaths of John and Mary Ann.

My grandad James Guiheen went to work near Edinburgh prior to his marriage. My mam thought it was Waverley station in Edinburgh and some one else said that he worked in the mines. I often wonder why he went to Edinburgh but there did seem to be quite a few Wynnes who settled near there so perhaps he knew family.

I am visiting Ireland this year and hoping to go the cemetery in Ardcarne to see if there is any information on the headstones about the Guiheen's or the Gaffney's. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help - it is really appreciated

Imelda
imelda lively

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: guihen/guiheen family Reply with quote

Hello Ann

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging your reply to my query. The last time I left a message I received an email to let me know that someone had replied. Unfortunately this time I did not receive an email so thought that there had been no replies. I happened to look at the site last night - purely by accident - and when I saw the replies I felt terrible. I really appreciate the time and effort that people make to help me in my research and would never intentionaly not thank them for their time and help.

I would really like to think that the John Guihen born to James Guihen and Bridget Scanlan was my ancestor but I don't think that he is. I am not quite sure about John's age as his marriage cert suggests he was born in 1844 or 1841, the 1901 census suggests 1841 and the 1911 census suggests 1836. I will just have to keep on looking to try and get some confirmation.

Thanks again for your time

Best wishes

Imelda
imelda lively

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: guihen/guiheen family Reply with quote

Hello Fiona

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging your reply to my query. The last time I keft a message I received an email to let me know tht someone had replied. Unfortunately this time I did not receive an email so was unaware that there had been replies. I happened to look at the site last night - purely by chance - and felt terrible when I saw the replies. I really appreciate the time and effort that people make to help me in my research and would never intentionally not thank them for their time and help.

I have actually found out where Rover is on the map now but it is handy to know where to look for the information. I spent ages trying to find it.

Thanks again for your time - it is appreciated

Imelda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: