Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Co. Sligo, Kilmactigue Parish (between Aclare and Swinford)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murph_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Co. Sligo, Kilmactigue Parish (between Aclare and Swinford) Reply with quote

I am wondering if any of those online are researching this area noted above (Kilmactigue) and the townlands of Knockbrack, Cladagh as I see so many posts of surname and the like that it is hard to scan all the topics.

I am researching the area, where my ancestors are from, but have many of the records from the area, looking for any more as it seems their are many smaller lists of things I am always seeming to stumble upon.

Thanks, Murph_
Murph_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Detailed Maps, Kilmactiege area? Need all surrounding area Reply with quote

Anyone know where a good detailed map of Kilmactiege area (Aclare) with all the townlands, electorial divisions, etc...essentially eveyrthing>? I have the Ordance Survey maps and others from online, not too good....doing research and need to refer to them regualrly

Murph_
mickjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Townlands Reply with quote

Not sure if this is of any use to you Murph, take a look at this website, it has maps of Sligo and a list of Towns. You might have to download the Viewer to see the maps, etc. The maps are Scrollable, and I would hazard a guess that they are about 6 inches to a Mile.
This is the web site .... http://www.sligococo.ie/library/maps/1837/index/index.htm

Have you tried doing a search for " Townlands of Sligo" on Google.... This is where I found this website.

Good Luck with your searches Murph.
Murph_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: lack of detailed enough maps ...Thanks Reply with quote

Dear Mick,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the reply and link -- I have searched everywhere for Kilmactigue (various spellings) Co. Sligo detailed maps--nothing of sufficient accuracy and legends listing all land titles, names, monuments, etc, even since Griffiths -- I have went through all 814 hits from Google for Kilmactigue Co. Sligo (and Yahoo is similar).

Nothing with maps everything seems to be out there! Even the satellite image for the area is poor where I need it (right next to Kilmactigue is sufficent but not where I need it) !

Unfortunately this is making it VERY hard building a web site for the area as I obviously need detailed enough map to work from as a base of the area. I have Griffiths, the old and new Ord. Survey maps, map books, anything available in Ireland and on line and nothing seems to list everything ! It is getting frustrating, what do I have to do????

One site:

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie

shows the Buildings of Ireland, a great feature is aerial views, which, if you do the advanced search (I go for Sligo, then Kilmactiege) it shows (unknown what year done) overhead shots of various zoom levels of the land are available but without legends of anything else but buildings, but obviouslyit's not made for this purposes, but it is useful. All the Townland boundries I need. The Old ones, like Sligo library are great but I need both old to new that lists everything so to locate houses of family names (from the Land Transfers LDS Film, circa 1855-1943).

Unfortunately, the lack of availability of high-quality maps, or perhaps of just this North-West area (as I have not looked for areas elsewhere) is making the Building a web site hard as it should be the base, and the maps from the Valuation Office (www.valofc.ie) are likewise not too great either!

To pull together everything for the area and, in particular all the Townlands and monuments is really hampering the website for a local Genealogy project, somewhat like combining this websites information with locations where possible (and most of it is listing a location generally to the townland as we all know it is the basis of Griffiths, the Census, etc....). I will just keep looking, I guess I have no choice!!

If you ever hear of anything, please do not hesitate to contact me....THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!

SLAINTE !

Murph_
Fiona

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re. Maps Reply with quote

Dear Murph, Have you tried the Irish Ordanance Survey Maps website? It might be of some use to you and you can also prrchase maps from the same site. The link is http://ims0.osiemaps.ie or just www.osi.ie Regards Fiona.
Murph_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Great, THANKS, now I just need more links of Irish Web sites Reply with quote

Fiona,

THANKS, I was unaware the Ord. Survey had a new webpage and new services, so I will spend some time looking it over. The store link

http://shop.osi.ie/shop/

Only works if your already on the Ord. Survey page.

I still need each and every townland in the Kilmactigue/Aclare area (on the road to Swinford from Aclare). I do know Kilasser is the first townland when leaving Co. Sligo into Co. Mayo, but that is the only one I know of -- I am hoping some of those with personal knowledge of the area will contact me with something as it seems more and more I need local knowledge if I am going to find maps of sufficient details and legends.

One major problem is Knockbrack in Co. Sligo is the last of South Sligo's townlands, the next is Kilasser in Co. Mayo --- so I am dealing with both May and Sligo -- and every townland on each side of the Mayo/Sligo border.

On a side note -I recently got a copy of Fr. Sweeny's "In the Footsteps of St. Brendan," which deals with Castleconner 1835-1855 -- This Great Priest did an utterly AMAZING job of detailing local history, families and their ancestry, and dozen other features -- it has a Knockbrack townland, but I do not think it is my Knockbrack and it seems Co. Mayo has a Knockbrack spelled the exact same as Co. Sligo's Knockbrack -- I was aware their are several Knockbrack's but I did not know one was so close (as from my experience same names are somewhat distant).

So I again as those that may be reading this if you have any suggestions, links, someone to call in the area, ANYTHING, please do not hesitate to post a REPLY on this forum, as this is what it is for I would presume. The Great managers of the BB do a great job with this resource, its databases, and information -- and I hope to duplicate and improve on it for the areas of Kilmactigue, Aclare, Swinford areas surrounding Knockbrack.
SLAINTE !
Murph_
Murph_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Irish CENSUS Maps used in 1901 and 1911, where are they?? Reply with quote

Hey Mick and Fiona,

Jan 2012 UPDATE*************************

- The National Archives has been FINALLY doing some great work as the Census of 1901 and 1911 now included middle names (to differentiate brothers/fathers of the same fore or first name) AND now includes HOUSE NUMBERS such as below (hope links work here)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Aclare/Knockbrack/771715/

however now I again have the problem of finding the MAPS for the National Census of 1901 and 1911, which one would hope would be the same with the addition of newly built houses.

The Archives list, for instance HOUSE #2 in Knockbrack, Co. Sligo, Aclare, as one of my ancestors (John Pat) but I cannot find the maps - SO DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MAPS USED AND WHERE TO GTE A SUBSET OF THEM (Like Aclare). I have the tourists Map #32 and #25 of the area, but it is NOT what was used in the Census
END Jan 2012 UPDATE*********************

Thanks so much for the BUILDINGS and ORD. SURVEY MAP links
both are the best I have come across!! But, I am still holding out hopes of a complete top-of-the-line map for the area.

I have recently started examining the paper maps of land my ancestors held that I bought from the Irish Valuation Office (www.valofc.ie)

I am hoping someone can help in explaining the maps and provide legends of these maps (a legend was not included). Most of the VALUATION OFFICE MAPS (which are obviously the Ord. Survey Maps) land "stripes" are clear, as are the Acres, Rods, Perch, but what is totally confusing is the Land Transfers and comments. They seem to cross out the forename and insert another IF THE LAND WAS TRANSFERRED TO SAME FAMILY SURNAME (probably most common in this area of Ireland) but I am looking at small comments and notations. I cannot make sense of it (and I am NOT a neophite at map reading). A column-by-column legend would be nice (I realize these go back to the 1850s).

Again, ANY help would be great!!!!!!!!

SLAINTE!!

Murph

Last edited by Murph_ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Murph_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Kilmactiege Area, South Sligo ED and area -add Sligo to SITE Reply with quote

I reply to keep this thread going into 2012 --

Researching the Kilmactiege area, from Aclare town to Knockbrack on the way to Swinford, includes Claddagh, Stonepark, Knockbrack and this side of the Ox Mountains all the Way through the Windy Gap on Lough Talt -- some of my MURPHY ancestors ranged this entire area as my GF John Joseph Murphy, and His Father Johnny "Mor" Murphy, worked the area from I assume the 1860s onward and it is getting more and more difficult (especially not being in the area, but in America) to research into the 1860s and I cannot find when my Ancestors first arrived in the area or if they were there from the beginning (which I suspect might be the case, or they arrived so early no records were kept at that time of the regular folk)...

Many Famous People, Michael Davit, Fr. Patrick Peyton, and Others comes from the area, and to Tubbercurry, was Edmond Murphy, and relative and one of the "15 fiddlers" whom are comemorated by a Plaue on Tubbercurry which I just discovered.

As noted in the previous posts, I am pulling together all the information and posting it to ONE WEBSITE but it is difficult finding free software enough to do the job or being able to search all the information, which I have tons of including most of the areas familes as I copy everything, not just my MURPHY and O'HARA ancestors so keep posting!!

Murph_
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: