Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Reids and Callaghans in Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brenda Dazey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reids and Callaghans in Roscommon Reply with quote

Looking for Reids and Callaghans in County Roscommon. My Great-grandfather's name was Alexander Reid (born 1868) and my Great-grandmother's name was Bridget Callaghan (born 1872). Both were from the Township of Feigh in Co. Roscommon. Alexander's father's name was William Reid (1825) and his mother's name was Annie McDonnell (1845). Bridget's father's name was James Callaghan (1837) and her mother's name was Honora Regan (1843). They both came from very large families so I am hoping there are still family members still living in Roscommon (possibly around the Ballaghaderreen area). My brothers and sisters and I are bringing my dad to Ireland in June, 2010, for the first time on vacation and I am hoping to connect with family. If any of these names sound familiar, please let me know.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Griffith’s Valuation for FIGH townland (not a township) in Tibohine Civil parish on the Leitrim-Roscommon webpage – www.leitrim-roscommon/GRIFFITH/ Look for Reade.

Also check the 1901 Census on the Leitrim-Roscommon webpage.
www.leitrim-roscommon/1901census/
Townland Figh Tibohine Civil parish
William (76)
Anne (76)
Patrick (35)
Francis (23)

The 1911 Census is free online - visit

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/about19011911census.html#whatcontain

Figh townland is in Loughglynn Catholic parish and Ballaghaderreen Registrar’s District.

The LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs lists the Civil birth of five of Alexander’s brothers: James, Malachy, Edward, Martin and Joseph.

REID, James, Birth Date: 21 Jun 1867 Birth registered on page 133 in Ballaghadereen Registration District, Mayo, Ire, Recorded in: Mayo, Ireland, Collection: Civil Registration
Father: William REID
Mother: Ann MC DONNELL
Source: FHL Film 101153
REID, Malachy. Birth Date: 3 Aug 1868 Birth registered on page 129, Ballaghaderreen, Mayo, Ire. Source: FHL Film 101178 Dates: 1868 - 1869
REID, Edward Birth Birth Date: 14 Jan 1870 - Birth registered on page 159, Ballaghaderreen, Mayo, Ire. Source: FHL Film 101203 Dates: 1870 - 1872
REID, Martin Birth Date: 12 Jan 1871 Birth registered on page 186, Ballaghaderreen, Mayo, Ire. Source: FHL Film 255814 Dates: 1871 - 1871
REID, Joseph Birth Birth Date: 1 Feb 1873 Birth registered: Ballaghadereen, Mayo, Ire
Source: FHL Film 255880 Dates: 1873 - 1873
Check the LDS films to confirm the place of birth and occupation of the father.

For more details see the Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD at your local library.

For definition of townland, etc., visit
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf

For details of all townlands in County Roscommon, including names of District Electoral Divisions (needed to search the 1911 Census on line visit
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf

John
www.roscommon.info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: