Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Robert Coleman, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Robert Coleman, Boyle, Co. Roscommon Reply with quote

My great great grandfather, Robert Coleman, signed a lease with Lord Lorton in 1803 for a few acres in the townland of Tawnytaskin, outside Boyle. He married a Catherine Dyer around 1816 and had at least eight children between 1817 and 1829: Catherine, Margaret, Michael, Luke, Dominick, Mary, Honoria and Patrick. I haven't been able to find Robert and Catherine's marriage details, nor do I know where he lived before signing the 1803 lease for Tawnytaskin. I'm fairly sure that he was related to a Luke Coleman who was living in the townland of Erris (just across Lough Key from Tawnytaskin) in 1803, but I don't know how they are related. Does anyone out there know anything about this Robert or Luke? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs lists the following Baptisms in Boyle Catholic parish. There is no record of the marriage of Robert and Catherine.
Catherine – not listed
Margaret - 19 Apr 1819
Michael – not listed
Luke – 13 Mar 1821
Dominick – 29 Mar 1823
Mary – 1825
Honoria – 1827
Patrick – 15 Jan 1829
You can view the CDs at the Dublin City Library.
Michael Coleman, wife and four children under 18 years of age are listed in Erris townland, Boyle Civil parish, at the 1749 Census of Elphin Diocese – see Page 349.
For a map of Boyle Civil parish visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/BoyleRC.html
The 1749 Census of Elphin Diocese is available worldwide on microfilm at major public libraries and LDS Family History Libraries - LDS film number 101781; and the 2004 publication edited by Marie-Louise Legg “The Census of Elphin 1749” (Irish Manuscripts Commission. 2004. Pp. xlii, 597. €75.00). Unfortunately neither source has a surname index. For an index see the Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD at the same library.
1858 Griffiths Valuation of Tawnytaskin townland lists the area of land occupied by
Coleman Michael Boyle Tawnytaskin Viscount Lorton Ho ld.
Coleman Michael Boyle Tawnytaskin Viscount Lorton Ld (meadow) (w/13o).
Coleman Patrick Boyle Tawnytaskin Viscount Lorton Ho off ld .
Dyer John Boyle Mocmoyne. Ball Alley Lane. Boyle Town
Dyer Ellen Boyle Mocmoyne. Chapel Lane. Boyle Town.
For more Griffiths Valuation visit
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
See also
To find the Catholic parish and DED for all townlands in County Roscommon visit:
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf
For Irish research definitions visit:
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf

John
Urs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, John.

I already had some of this information, but will follow up on the Resource CD in Roscommon County Library re the Elphin Census. I was aware of Michael, wife and children in Erris in 1749. Michael is listed as a herd. Do you know if this was a hereditary position? If so, would it have been likely to go to the eldest son, or the youngest, at that time?

I also know, having looked at Lord Lorton's lease books in the National Library of Ireland, that there was a Luke Coleman in Erris in 1803 because his son, Patt Coleman aged 12, was one of the 'lives' on Robert Coleman's Tawnytaskin lease. Luke also had a son, Michael aged 17, as he is named as a 'life' on the John Lavin's lease for the adjoining piece of land in Tawnytaskin.

My problem is that I do not know how to go about connecting Michael, Luke and Robert. I'll keep wrorking on it.

Urs
jcoleman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: coleman Reply with quote

A Luke Coleman was my great grandfather. My grandfather Joseph was one of a number of children born to to Luke and his wife Mary Gaffney. My grandfather was born September 14 1872. The sponsors at the Baptism were Michael Coleman and bridget McGarry at st Joseph's Church Boyle, Diocese of Elphin. Do you have any information on his family and their descendants?[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: