Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

The Killing of Major Dennis Mahon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElphinBill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: The Killing of Major Dennis Mahon Reply with quote

Has anyone read the new book by Peter Duffy,
"The Killing of Major Dennis Mahon" of Strokestown? It was published by Harper Collins in the fall 2007. Along with other sources, the book makes good use of the Mahon's private documents located in the NLI. It is a good read about the events leading up to and through the famine years in North Roscommon. And is written for a general audience.
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Killing of Major Denis Mahon
This book has not yet been released in Ireland, but any good bookshop can order a copy from the States. Mine took just 7 days to arrive.
Dorothy Joyce Hunt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother gave me a copy for Christmas and I'm reading it now. I think it's not only well researched history but reads like a good mystery. My paternal grandparents were from Four Mile House and apparently there were a number of Hunts involved - as witnesses at least. Dorothy Joyce Hunt
ElphinBill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: New York Times review of Mahon book Reply with quote

Below is the link to the New York Times review of the book in the December 9, 2007 edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/books/review/OGrada-t.html
JKennedy1957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was motivated to read this book because some of my Kenny ancestors were from the Strokestown area. It was a fascinating read and I would recommend it to anyone who has roots in Ireland. I found it also very interesting that the book pointed out that Mahon came to the Strokestown area after first quelling unrest in the Ahascragh area on the Galway/Roscommon border. This story should be told as well! For me it holds particular interest because many of my families that the Kenny's married into when they emigrated to Baltimore (Kennedy, Naughton, Carney, Rafferty) appear to be concentrated in this area. And many of these families preceded the Kenny's to Baltimore. I wonder if their experience with Mahon and immigration can be linked to the Strokestown story?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: