Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Re: TIGUE, TIGHE Names

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tighe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 1997 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TIGUE, TIGHE Names Reply with quote

Many Tighes in the east descend from Joseph Tighe who entered thru NYC in 1858. Most still live in NJ, esp. Union City, North Bergen, etc. Some went west to Montana and introduced Am.Indian to the family. My father, Andrew, moved to Minnesota in 69 for college. No other Tighes are known to have moved to Minn. An Irish lady who speaks Gaelic told me the name comes from a river and the river is considered the most beautiful in Ireland.

Teri Tighe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 1997 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TIGUE, TIGHE Names Reply with quote

My ggg grandfather came from Sligo, Ireland and went to South Douro, Ontario, Canada. He was born in 1809 and his name was John Tighe. I have Family Tree Maker and in one of its descriptions of Tighe's it said that when the Tighe's came to North America they had changed their names from MacTighe to Tighe. I have yet to find this variation. When he came over from Ireland until this day our family name is still Tighe. I have found minimal information about Tighe's in Sligo, Wicklow and Kilkenny Counties. I am at the moment trying to locate my ggg grandfather's father and mother from Ireland. If this is of any help, please let me know. Maybe we can exchange notes if we have similiarities.

tltighe@aol.com

William Naughton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 1997 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: TIGUE, TIGHE Names Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My ggg grandfather came from Sligo, Ireland and went to South Douro, Ontario, Canada. He was born in 1809 and his name was John Tighe. I have Family Tree Maker and in one of its descriptions of Tighe's it said that when the Tighe's came to North America they had changed their names from MacTighe to Tighe. I have yet to find this variation. When he came over from Ireland until this day our family name is still Tighe. I have found minimal information about Tighe's in Sligo, Wicklow and Kilkenny Counties. I am at the moment trying to locate my ggg grandfather's father and mother from Ireland. If this is of any help, please let me know. Maybe we can exchange notes if we have similiarities.

My wife's great-grandmother Mary Ann Tighe came from Ballysadare, County Sligo, where we found the family birth records in the local RC church. Her father, William Tighe, was Ballysadare's blacksmith. One history of Ballysadare singled him out as a hero for his humanitarian support for the local townspeople during a cholera epidemic in 1832. He was married to Mary Johnston, and members of the family moved to New York City in 1866. Mary Ann married William Hall, also from Ireland. (But we have no idea where in Ireland he came from.)
We also found Tighes in nearby Kilmorgan.

Irish annals mention various Tighe family lines, usually named after a famous relative named Teige (from thadg, meaning a poet or philosopher and equating to the given names Thaddeus and Timothy; O'Taidgh or MacTeigue was anglicized Tighe). The Tighe line in Connaught Province was said to be part of the Ui Maine grouping of prominent clans headed by the O'Kellys. The family namesake was reportedly a Teige (the son of another Teige) who married the daughter of Arca, lord of West Connaught in the mid-900s. The Tighes became trusted tax collectors for the King of Connaught and were ancestors of the O'Connor line which ruled Sligo before the 13th century Anglo-Norman conquest. The Tighe Coat of Arms carries the motto: "Let us neither fear nor wish for the last day."

iiaunau@erols.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: