Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candy Cheney

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 1997 1:48 am    Post subject: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

Looking for info on family names BULLOCK,
great grandfather, Elkrum BULLOCK, died 1899,
Fergus Falls, MN. Wife, Mary SMALL, from Denmark.
Also looking for info on husband's family name, CHENEY. Grandfather, Vernon CHENEY

ccheney@eot.com

Anon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 1997 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Looking for info on family names BULLOCK,
: great grandfather, Elkrum BULLOCK, died 1899,
: Fergus Falls, MN. Wife, Mary SMALL, from Denmark.
: Also looking for info on husband's family name, CHENEY. Grandfather, Vernon CHENEY

Cheney or Cheyney or Chesney came to Ireland at the time of the Plantation of Ulster. It comes from and old French word chesnai or oakgrove.

Bullock is a biblical reference but I can't find any traces in Ireland although it is there.

Small is a translation of Begg usually found in Galway. In Ulster is is used for Kielty. Many with the name are British origin from Quilty.

Jeffrey Wentworth Cheney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 1997 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

My father's name is Vernon H. Cheney he was born in Lowell, Mass in Dec.1917. His father's name was Harold Cheney he was born in New Brunswich,Nova Scotia in 1897. His father's name was Edwin Cheney and he came to Canada from Wales as a ships machinist in the late 1800's but I don't know where he was born. The Ocean pier at Old Orchard Beach in Maine and Cheney Hospital in Boston were both named after a relative of mine who was the architect of both.In the 1700's I had a relative who came to America to make his fortune in the fur trade after several years he returned home, about 10 years ago I met a man who had trace his indian ancestry to a micmac indian woman who went by the name of Cheney I don't know if it means anything but it sure is an interesting story.

jefchen@flash.net

Donna Jean Cheney

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 1997 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

My Grandfather, William Fredrick Cheney was born in
Nebraska. He had 13 children.
My cousins, Aunts and Uncles are scattered from
New York to Alaska. I know my Grandfather came
from a big Cheney family himself.
I was told that "Cheney" came from England.
It means, "a barrier made of chain barring
entrance to a road". At least this is what I
was told. Other than that, I'm clueless about
my ancestry. Oh, one more thing of small intrest,
my Grandfather was 2 years old when Buffalo Bill
Cody payed a visit to his parents. Bill asked
what the boy's name was and his father said,
"Boy". Buffalo Bill thought the boy should have
a name, so he named my Grandfather after himself.
William Fredrick.

tiq_a_lish@hotmail.com

Sophie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 1998 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

Looking for information on the Small family. Would like to know if you know where they originated from and how far back you have traced them. Do you know when they first came to Australia as there are still some Smalls in Australia

jlymber@tpgi.com.au

Janel Bullock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 1998 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

My family (Bullock) is from Cornwall, England. My great-grandfather came to the United States in the late 1800's. He first settled in Montana, and then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have a Great-Aunt in Cornwall that is in contact with the wife of Bullock decendent from Australia that has traced Bullock roots going back to the 1500's.

jcb@ais.net

JOANNE BULLOCK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 1998 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My family (Bullock) is from Cornwall, England. My great-grandfather came to the United States in the late 1800's. He first settled in Montana, and then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have a Great-Aunt in Cornwall that is in contact with the wife of Bullock decendent from Australia that has traced Bullock roots going back to the 1500's.

joanne bullock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 1998 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My family (Bullock) is from Cornwall, England. My great-grandfather came to the United States in the late 1800's. He first settled in Montana, and then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have a Great-Aunt in Cornwall that is in contact with the wife of Bullock decendent from Australia that has traced Bullock roots going back to the 1500's.

Lynne Peffers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 1999 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Surnames, BULLOCK, CHENEY, SMALL Reply with quote

Trying to trace back and have found 2 of my great-great aunts married Cheney men. Thay were Edwin Harrison and James Lahan Cheney. My aunts are Jennie Anna and Guimetta Chapman do you have this in your tree?

jerrylynne@sault.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: