Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Leitrim and the Great Hunger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Carroll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 1997 5:35 pm    Post subject: Leitrim and the Great Hunger Reply with quote

I just finished reading *Leitrim and the Great Hunger: A Temporary Inconvenience?* by Gerard MacAtasney. In addition to fascinating information on such items as housing and food, it lists emigrants from Leitrim and their destination, if known. Many went to Rhode Island (like my ancestor), New York and Canada.

This book may only be available in Ireland, but if you check Kenny's Bookshop in Galway on the WWW, you will be able to order from him.

tpcarhis@jal.cc.il.us

William McGreevey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 1997 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Leitrim and the Great Hunger Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

:I got my copy of the MacAtasney book at the Famine Museum in Strokestown.

I have read a little of it with interest, as my ancestors lived west of the Shannon and Carrick-on-Shannon in Killukin Townland.
I recommend the book of David Thomson, "Woodbrook," obtainable through Amazon.com. It describes his life at the Anglo-Irish estate in Roscommon. It also includes the analysis he did of the Captain Wynne case before the House of Lords.
He comes to somewhat different conclusions from those of MacAtasney, and they seem thoughtful to me.
Obviously, views on the Famine are just as heated after 150 years as they were then. Thomson brings some light to the debate.
I just finished reading *Leitrim and the Great Hunger: A Temporary Inconvenience?* by Gerard MacAtasney. In addition to fascinating information on such items as housing and food, it lists emigrants from Leitrim and their destination, if known. Many went to Rhode Island (like my ancestor), New York and Canada.

: This book may only be available in Ireland, but if you check Kenny's Bookshop in Galway on the WWW, you will be able to order from him.

wmcgreevey@worldbank.org

John Dolan-Heitlinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 1997 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitrim and the Great Hunger Reply with quote

FYI, I was able to order a copy of the MacAtasney book
from Kenny's Bookshop.

john@dolan-heitlinger.com

Gail Moran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 1997 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitrim and the Great Hunger Reply with quote

I too had ancestors from Leitrim to Rhode Island. Mine came to Providence, almost all the children of Charles and Mary Cafferty as well as almost all the children of Thomas and Mary O'Brien. I would be very interested in buying the book. I shall try to find Kenny's on the internet. My family came in 1874. What were the names of your family? and where did they settle, Providence, Woonsocket ? I still live in RI and may be able to look up some info for you. When the immigrants left, do you know where they sailed from? any other details?

morang@ride.ri.net

John Dolan-Heitlinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 1997 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leitrim and the Great Hunger Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: I too had ancestors from Leitrim to Rhode Island. Mine came to Providence, almost all the children of Charles and Mary Cafferty as well as almost all the children of Thomas and Mary O'Brien. I would be very interested in buying the book. I shall try to find Kenny's on the internet. My family came in 1874. What were the names of your family? and where did they settle, Providence, Woonsocket ? I still live in RI and may be able to look up some info for you. When the immigrants left, do you know where they sailed from? any other details?

I just got the book. Leitrim sounds like modern day Somalia. If you are interested it is an interesting book.

john@dolan-heitlinger.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: