Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Scullion, Scollon, Scollin, Scollan near to Glenfarne
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Hunter"]....If you look at the LDS change of occupier film I listed earlier you will find when Owen left this land....../quote]

I ordered the above mentioned film and had a look at it today...

The earliest records on the film (c1857) have Owen Scollon as lessor of a holding in Carrickrevagh (from the Tottenham family) it refers to the holding as Map reference 23a, he seems to remain at this location until the turn of the century (the dates are unclear) when Owen is scored out and the name Patrick name is inserted also the reference number is also scored out and has map reference as 16 (this appears to be a renumbering exercise rather than a move).

Patrick Scollon is as mentioned above on the 1901 residing in Carrickrevagh with his wife and sister.

I suspect this Patrick Scollon is the same one referred to by "Peggy" in the archive section of this board, who married three times once to a McManus, unfortunately i am unable to contact the poster as the email address is 10 years old !!

If anyone else has information on the above family names or suggestions please feel free to post here or email through my web site via the "www" button below
redted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Thanks to the release of the 1911 census data

I have found the Scollan family residing at Carrickrevagh...

house number 5 in Carrickrevagh (Glenfarn, Leitrim)

Surname Forename Age ancestor_gender

Scollan Owen 69 Male head of family - farmer
Scollan Patrick 38 Male son - farmer
Scollan Bridget 30 Female dau in law
Scollan Owen 9 Male g/son
Scollan Mary 3 Female g/dau
Scollan James 2 Male g/son
Scollan Maggie 1 Female g/dau

Bridget is believed to be a Bridget Cullen the second wife of Patrick.
redted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the Scollan search ... after making a few contacts on genes reunited, we have made some significant progress, stitching together some of those little pieces of information we each held in to a bigger picture ...

The undernoted information represents the overall story so far of our info sharing...

Descendants of Owen Scollan
1. Owen Scollan (1) was born about 1798 in Carrickrevagh in the District of Manorhamilton in Co. Leitrim. There is no record of his wife. He was a farmer occupying some 12 acres of poor land at Carrickrevagh (as per Tithe –as Owen Scollin)
He died 24 April 1873 at age 75. Cause of death was consumption. Informant of death was Owen Scollan (son) of Carrickrevagh.

2. Owen Scollan (2) was born about 1847 in Carrickrevagh.
In 1867 Owen (2) married Mary McGrenary (of full age) on March 4 1867 at the Roman Chapel of Glenfarne in the registrars District in the Union of Manorhamilton in the county of Leitrim. The fathers of the bride and groom were Tom McGrenary (farmer) and Owen Scollan (farmer). The witnesses were John McGrenary and James Keany and the ceremony was conducted by John Maguire.

3. Patrick Scollan (1) was born 20 December 1872 to Owen Scollan (2) (farmer) and Mary Scollan (formerly McGrenary) in Carrickrevagh, Cloonclare. The informant was “X” (the mark of Cecily Clancy). There is an LDS reference to further children namely Bridget born 31 January 1868, Margaret born 13 February 1869, Mary born 15 October 1871, Owen born 12 August 1877, Thomas born 13 October 1878, I have also seen birth info relating to Mary Ann born 1881 and I have also accessed the birth info relating to my great grandfather John 14 December 1884. I have also seen an index info relating to a James bn 1870.

4. Patrick Scollan (1) married Anne Regan of full age from Carranmore on 28 May 1900 in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Kiltyclogher in Manorhamilton. Fathers were Owen Scollan (2) and Lacky (Malachi) Regan. Witnesses were Thomas Magrenary and Maggie McGillan.

5. Owen Scollan(3) was born to Patrick(1) and Anne on 1 December 1902 in Carrickrevagh. Informant was Pat Scollan(1) (father).

6 Anne Scollan (Regan) died aged 28 on 28 November 1906 in the workhouse Manorhamilton. Cause of death was melancholia and paralysis. Informant was J.McKenna, occupier Workhouse Manorhamilton.

7. Patrick (1) then married Bridget Cullen of full age from Carrickrevagh, 1 July 1907 in the Roman Catholic Church of Glenfarne Witnesses were Thomas McGrenary and Alice McGourty.

8. In the 1911 Census residents of House number 5 in Carrickrevagh were Owen Scollan(2)69 years, Patrick Scollan(1)38 years, Bridget Scollan 30 years, Owen Scollan(3) 9 years, Mary Scollan 3 years, James 2 years and Maggie 1 year.(census return)

9. Patrick Scollan(2) was born 7 December 1913 to Patrick (1) and Bridget at Carrickrevagh

10. Bridget Scollan (formerly Cullen) died aged 28 years on 11 March 1914. Cause of death was pulmonary TB. Informant was Pat Scollan(1)

11. Patrick Scollan (1) aged 44 years married Bridget Mc Manus aged 37 years of Barran on 18 September 1916 Bridget’s father was James McManus. Witnesses were Peter Clancy and Rose A McMorrow.

12. Sheela Scollan was born 1 June 1918 to Patrick (1) and Bridget (formerly McManus) in Carrickrevagh.

13. Owen Scollan (2) died aged 72 years on 23 august 1919. Cause of death was probably Bronchitis. Informant was Pat Scollan son.

14. Lacky Regan died aged 77 on 12 July 1920 at Carranmore. Cause of death was senile decay. Informant was James Regan son.

15. Patrick Scollan(1)died aged 48 years on 24 June 1921. cause of death was acute pluro pneumonia (six days) informant was Mollie Scollan (daughter)

16. Owen Scollan married Margaret Carroll from Derrygonnely, Co Fermanagh (date unknown). Margaret Jane Carroll was the fourth child of John Carroll and Mary Magennis.

17 Sheila Scollan also known as Margaret Rose Scollan was born 1 September 1931 (personal knowledge of Allan Davies). to Owen and Margaret.

18 Sheila Scollan was married to Vincent Patrick Willcocks at the Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Stoke Newington. Witnesses were R. F. Willcocks and M. J. Conroy. There are seven children Maire, Teresa, Brendan, Mairead, Patrick, Claire and Desmond.

19. Margaret Jane Scollan (Carroll) died about 1933. Cause of death TB. Another child, Patrick, had been born but he died in infancy possibly also from TB (records needed).

20. Owen Scallon (note the change of spelling) aged 44 years married Gladys Emily Newman (nee Tarry) 43 years, the divorced wife of Reginald Charles Newman (personal knowledge) in the Register Office in Reading. Witnesses were Winifred Hutchins and D.B Broadway.

21. Wendy Elizabeth Scallon was born 26 January 1944 to Gladys Emily Newman formerly Tarry now the wife of Owen Scallon. Gladys died 23 April 1981 in Preston Royal Infirmary. Registered 29 March 1947 on the authority of the Registrar General.

Wendy is now married to Allan Trevor Davies and they and their two daughters (Judith and Lindsey who are married to Glen Jones and Ian Wallace respectively) live in South Africa. Allan and Wendy’s address is P.O.Box 11504 Selcourt Springs 1567 Gauteng South Africa. E-mail allandwendy@absamail.co.za..

References are Record Office certificates unless otherwise stated.

So thanks to all concerned in making this possible.
redted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Scollan to Scullion Reply with quote

By way of an update in case this is of any use to anyone else after years of searching I found an image of my Great Grandfather John Scollan(Scullion) bn 14 Dec 1884 @ Carrickrevagh, Leitrim.
It is a memorial relating to his death in World War 1, Ypres in 1918.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54tz9vn1wdv2wnp/John%20Scullion%20senoir.jpg?dl=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: