Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Death of Rachel McLoughlin in Fuerty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lupitt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Death of Rachel McLoughlin in Fuerty Reply with quote

Hello I'm new on here and am hoping someone can help me out with an ongoing problem I'm having.

My g.fathers parents were born in Ireland (no idea where - not very helpful!) and moved over to Liverpool where my g.father was born.

One of his siblings however who was born in Liverpool, died at the age of 9 in Fuerty. She was Rachel McLoughin born 1891 in Liverpool, died 6th August 1900, Fuerty, Roscommon. She died from Periostitis (shin splints) and asthenia (lack of energy, sometimes attributed to TB).

The headstone on the family grave at the RC cemetery in Liverpool states 'also Rachel, beloved daughter of above who died 4th August 1900 aged 9 years, interred in Ireland. Her parents were William McLoughlin and Susannah McLoughlin (nee Osborne)

I am guessing that she is buried in Fuerty but only on a gut feeling. Not exactly solid evidence!

Could anyone tell me please how I go about finding where she is buried and possibly more info as to why she was in Ireland aged 9 when her parents and other siblings were in Liverpool? Was there a hospital/workhouse/children's home in Fuerty??

One day I do hope to visit Ireland to see where my family lived, however only when I have more of an idea which bit to visit!

Thanks in advance
Lucy Pitt
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably related to the William McLaughlin and William McLaughlin Jr. listed in Fuerty parish in Griffiths Survey which is on this site.
Antog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the Castelcoote parish records (or Athleague)

from the http://www.elphindiocese.ie/ site, I found

Fr John Leogue
The Presbytery, Athleague, Co. Roscommon.
090 6663338
Email:
to block spammers:-

johnleogue
at
eircom
dot
net
maggiemole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a McLoughlin grave numbered 160 in the old Fuerty graveyard. There are no first names in the index, however, so I have no idea if that is your girl. If you want a copy of the map of the graves, I can email you one.

cheers
Maggie
Fiona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy, I have an index to the graveyard also which does give names and dates only. The three McLoughlin in grave 160 are: William John, 1863, Martha McL, 1822 and Ann Martha McL, 1822. Maybe she was buried there but her name never added to the headstone. A burial record might be something to look for. Regards Fiona
maggiemole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona,

If your index to the Fuerty graveyard gives the first names as well as surnames, could I ask you please who are the Rooneys buried in graves 88 and 173? and if there are dates too, I would be extremely pleased!

It's a funny list I have, because I have actually visited the grave of my McGovern great-grandparents there, yet there is no McGovern or Goveran name on my list. Do you have them? Martin and Ellen. And if you have a date for Ellen, I am singularly unsuccessful in finding this by any other route so far. There was no date for them on the headstone.

Many thanks
Maggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: