Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

John O'DONNELL Queensland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joan B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: John O'DONNELL Queensland Reply with quote

Hello,
Since my last post I've got the death cert for John & was wondering about his burial. It states the minister & religion as Jas R. Williams, Methodist. Would this mean he was not RC or was this the only minister available at the time of his burial, in 1904 ..All his children born to him & Catherine HICK in 1881 were brought up as Protestant. I look forward to the answers on my inquiry.
Regards
Joan B
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you do more research in Australia.

The SLQ and Queensland Archives in Runcorn have details of passenger shipping arrivals as well as early Civil, birth, death and marriage records.

An Irish research plan is directly dependent on the amount and specificity of the information available. Every effort should be expended toward identifying the exact location, i.e. the name of the townland or parish of the immigrant ancestor. In order to accomplish this goal, one must first search the “New Country (US, Canadian, UK or Australian) sources”. These include a study of all the personal or family, civil, ecclesiastical, LDS (FHL), and other library data available, with an emphasis on localising the family's place of origin in Ireland. Only after exhaustive work in the foregoing areas should the Irish sources be consulted. (Source: Dr. James Small, noted Unites States genealogist. 1988).

Only when I decided to learn more about how the Irish system worked did I realize the vast amount of research information available within 10 kms of where I live in Australia. In many respects it is easier to do County Leitrim Family History research in Australia than in Ireland, particularly now that Family History Library (FHL) microfilms are available worldwide at major Public Libraries and larger Family History Societies, as well as at local LDS Family History Libraries (FHL).

I suggest you don't pay a cent to anyone until you know what you are doing.

There are five townlands named Dromore in County Leitrim
Townland Civil parish Catholic Parish
Dromore Killasnet Killasnet (K)
Dromore Cloone Aghavas (AC)
Dromore Kiltoghert Kiltoghert (AC)
Dromore Oughteragh Oughteragh (K)
Dromore Killanummery Killanummery (AC)

The letters in brackets refer to the Diocese.

Visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/TOWNLAND/town.html - unfortunately Catholic parishes are not listed.

For Leitrim Civil parish maps visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/LR_maps.html

I suggest you visit the State Library Queensland (SLQ) in South Brisbane. In the Family History Section look at Resource County Leitrim CD for LDS film numbers for the (AC) Dioceses listed above. You can order and look at the LDS films at SLQ and major libraries.

John
Joan B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Re John O'DONNELL Queensland Reply with quote

Thanks John for your suggestions, I'll get to the State Archives and see if I can get some more details on John
Kind regards
Joan B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: