Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Ballykilcline Society Members Transcribe 1842 Mahon Estate R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siskabob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Ballykilcline Society Members Transcribe 1842 Mahon Estate R Reply with quote

Ballykilcline Society Members Transcribe 1842 Mahon Estate Rent Roll

Adapted from The Bonfire, newsletter of the Ballykilcline Society

In 2005, the Famine Museum at Strokestown, Roscommon, offered the Ballykilcline Society access to two Mahon estate rent rolls. A small group of members gathered in an upstairs museum room to copy them in a short time. It became obvious that it couldn’t be done in the time available. It was decided therefore to take digital photos of the 1842-43 roll and Cassie Kilroy Thompson and subsequently member Anne Marie Bell set about making a transcript of it.
The earlier roll, from the 1820s, was published in the Society’s newsletter in 2006. And now, Bell, over years, has completed the 1842 portion of the later roll, which lists more than 700 Mahon tenants. The list is significant since many of the tenants named died or emigrated during the Famine a few years later and do not appear in the 1850s Griffith’s Valuation. Kilglass lost more than 60% of its population during the Famine decade.
The list also may capture some of an older generation of Irish people who were not liable to pay the tithe and thus were not recorded in the Tithe Applotment Books (TAB) of about 1830. It has been estimated that only about 37 percent of the population is recorded in the TAB because most did not hold enough land to qualify for inclusion in that record set.
The Mahon rent roll spreadsheet has taken years to produce and you can appreciate why when you see it. When printed out, it fills approximately 130 pages. Bell worked from digital photographs. The Society is extremely grateful to her for taking this huge task to completion. She has now begun work on the 1843 data in the records provided by the museum.
When the Society undertook the transcription, we pledged to give a copy of the final product to the Famine Museum and one has been sent recently to John O’Driscoll at the museum.
The data allows us also to develop a list of townlands where the Mahons owned property. We had requested one some years ago from the Famine Museum but none was available then. The list has great significance because of its date: it tells who lived on the estate before famine and emigration chaos disrupted the local society. The spreadsheet holds a unique dataset that will fascinate all descendants of Strokestown-area people.
The rent roll, apart from naming individuals in particular townlands, records tenants’ rent, and in some cases, their arrears and pending actions due to arrears. “Ejected” is listed after some names.
A note accompanying the rental book says: “Rental of the Strokestown Estate for the half-year ending 1 May 1842. “The most striking difference between the 1840's estate rentals and those from earlier periods is the appearance of a new column to record rent arrears. A total of 745 individuals are recorded in this rental, the majority of whom are in arrears. The size of the estate was approximately 4,000 ha (10,000 acres) and the annual income in a good year was about £10,000. By the summer of 1842, rent arrears of £1,539 had accumulated. By the time Major Mahon inherited the estate three years later, this had risen to £14,000. This increase was due to the growing poverty and economic recession, and the work of the "combinations" against rent payment.”
It is apparent that a map of the area that identifies landlords of particular locales would greatly benefit re-searchers. Other landlords of the Strokestown-Kilglass area, apart from the Crown authorities of Ballykilcline, include the Marquess of Westmeath, Daniel Farrell, and Nicholas Balfe, who was the son-in-law of Daniel O’Connell, the national hero who was called the Liberator.
Some records of the Marquess of Westmeath’s property were reported in the society’s 2006 spring newsletter, courtesy of author Desmond Norton. A portion of a rent roll from the Marquess’ property in Kilglass appears on the cover of Norton’s book, Landlords, Tenants, Famine / The Business of an Irish Land Agency in the 1840s (University College Dublin Press). When Norton spoke at a Ballykilcline Reunion, he brought that rent roll with him and allowed Society members to copy records from it. Norton’s book devotes a chapter to Kilglass Landlord Farrell and his properties.
Murph_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: ReUnion of Irish Americans in Ireland, August 2012 Reply with quote

Dear Lynne Sisk,

Interesting to say the least -- I urge you to continue to post information and I assume you are the same siskabon who posted about the REUNION in 2012 -- I would like to see if it is possible to make this a much larger re-union as you and your group possibly intended.

Many Families search for information, both online and in person -- by making trips to Ireland. Unfortunately, many are not particularly TARGETED at helping them find their ancestors.
This is where you and I, and our respective organizations could help by advertising your reunion, or adding to it if you wish.

I am not sure if you are aware, Notre Dame is having an American Football Game in Dublin Sept. 2012, and many are coming to it -- estimated to as much as 10,000 People as the last game in 2005 brought ---, would it not be great to use this opportunity to help many of those find answers to thier family ancestry at the same time?

Many want to add to their ancestor or family information, particularly as the WWII Generation is passing as the decades go by so fast, their Sons and Daughters are interested in adding to the little information they were told as Children of the "old suld" from which they came!

It would be great to bring answers to these good people as well as showing them a good time!

SLAINTE !!

Murph_
fitz1959

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mahon estate rental records Reply with quote

Hi,
Is there some way to get a lookup in these rental records? I am interested in an ancestor named Edward Fitzmaurice who left Ireland for New Brunswick, Canada about 1832. I believe that before he left he transferred his property to his son Patrick Fitzmaurice. The property in question was in Cloonfad More on the Henry S.P. Mahon estate. in the 1858 valuation it shows Patrick Fitzmaurice renting 66 acres in Cloonfad More in Aughrim parish. The map references are number 8a (ord. S.11).If a lookup is not possible, will this imfo be available online sometime?
Thank you,
Bernie FitzMaurice
siskabob

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Mahon estate rental records Reply with quote

Hello, Bernie,

FYI, I have searched the 1842 Mahon rent list and there are no mentions of FitzMaurice or FitzMorris or Cloonfad More.

Since I was checking something else in the Roscommon Flax Growers bounty list, I also looked for FitzMaurice and it showed:

Fitzmaurice Michael Clooncraff Roscommon
Fitzmaurice Patrick Clooncraff Roscommon
Fitzmaurice Walter Aughrim Roscommon
Fitzmorris James Kilmore Roscommon
Fitzmorris Martin Kiltullagh Roscommon
Fitzmorris Thomas Kiltullagh Roscommon

Is Walter of Aughrim related to your family?

The only other FitzMaurice I know of was Thomas FitzMaurice who lived in Ballykilcline when the rent strike started there around 1835. But he was not among the evictees in 1847 and 1848. I recall messaging with a FitzMaurice researcher some years ago who, if I recall correctly, thought that Thomas may have emigrated to somewhere in eastern New York.

As a researcher of families in that area though, you may want to consider joining the Ballykilcline Society; among the many benefits, we could send you that rent list. You can visit our web site at www.ballykilcline.com.

Good luck with your research.

Mary Lee Dunn
The Ballykilcline Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: