Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Fitzmaurice families in Roscommon county, Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitz1959

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Fitzmaurice families in Roscommon county, Ireland Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I have some new research for Fitzmaurice families in Roscommon county, Ireland. I hope that someone can connect to something here. My 3x greatgrandfather was Edward FitzMaurice who was born in Carrick on Shannon abt 1770. He married Mary Laven abt 1804. Mary was born in Killucan abt 1782. Edward was a career British soldier and after he retired he emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada with most of his family in 1832.I descend from his son John who went to Canada with him. He left behind 2 adult sons, Edward and Patrick. I have been researching these 2 sons. I found Edwards baptism record in Killucan in 1817, but nothing else. I haven't found any solid record for Patrick yet. I have been researching the following Fitzmaurice families and believe that the first Patrick listed, that married Sarah May, is the Patrick Fitzmaurice that I am looking for. I think that I will have to try to find the property records and look for a transfer of deed from Edward to Patrick around 1832.

The number with the parenthesis indicates the generation change. for example 1) indicates the father of 2) under it, 3) indicates the child of 2) etc. the + indicates a marraige.
All these Fitzmaurices lived in Killucan, Cloonfad More, Elphin, or the nearby area. Does any of this look like your family?

1) Patrick Fitzmaurice, born ?
+ Sarah May, born ? married before 1837 somewhere around Killucan or Carrick on Shannon, Roscommon county, Ireland.
This is possibly the Patrick FitzMaurice listed in the 1858 property valuations for Cloonfad More. They had at least 3 children.

2)Anna, born abt. 21 Feb, 1844

2)Francis, born abt. 16 Apr, 1837, Killucan, died abt. 1872, Stokestown district.
+Ann Elizabeth Fagan, born abt. 1833, her father was Michael Fagan. Francis and Ann were married 22 Apr, 1867 stokestown district.
They had 2 children.
3)Mary Margaret, born abt. 1869 in Roscommon co. she died before 1911. It's unknown if she ever married.
3)Patrick J., born abt. 2 Feb,1870 in Roscommon co. he was still living with his mother in 1911 census in Elphin.
This family shows up with Ann as the head in Elphin directories for 1870,1881,and 1894 she is listed under general merchant, posting house, and Hotel.
This family shows up in the 1901 and 1911 census in Elphin with Ann as the head listed as a widow, and as a shopkeeper, hotel proprietor. Her son Patrick is living there as well as her sister Margaret J. Fagan, both listed as single in 1911.The daughter, Margaret J., b abt 1869 is not listed, and the extra imfo on her mother lists her as having 2 children, 1 still living.There is also a death notice in the Freemans journal dated 3 Jul, 1896 for a miss M.A. Fagan who died 1 Jul, 1896 at the residence of her sister, Mrs Fitzmaurice at the Hotel elphin. (perhaps this date is wrong or it is another sister- not Margaret, who is still living in the 1911 census).

2)Patrick, born abt. 23 sept, 1841, Cloonfad More
+Brigid Cryan, born abt 1850, her parents were John Cryan and Honora Kearney. Patrick and Brigid were married abt 10 Feb 1873 in Killucan.
They had 8 children, 7 still living in 1911 census.
3)Francis Patrick, born abt 8 Mar, 1875, Aughrim
3)Mary Margaret, born abt 25 Mar, 1877, Cloonfad More
3)John, born abt 21 Apr, 1879, Cloonfad More
3)Peter, born abt 1882
3)Honoria, born abt 1885
3)Thomas, born abt 1888
3)Michael, born abt 1884
3)Unknown
This family was in the 1901 and 1911 census as living in Cloonfad More.

Another Fitzmaurice family I am interested in follows:

1)Patrick Fitzmaurice, born abt 1839
+Mary Manion, born abt 1843, they were married abt 28 jan, 1864in Roscommon county. they had at least 4 children.
2)Michael, born abt 15 Aug, 1871, Roscommon county
2)Edward, born abt 27 Jun, 1869, Roscommon county
2)Mary, born abt 7 Jul, 1879, Roscommon county
2)John, born abt 12 Feb, 1865, Roscommon county
This family may have had a connection to the family of James and Jane Manion who in the 1851 census were living in the Saint Martins district in Birmingham England, and who had a visitor named Patrick Fitzmaurice aged 39 (born abt 1812) occupation blacksmith.

Do you know of any connection here with your family?

Thanks,
Bernie FitzMaurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: