Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McCartins (ans) and McGoverns in Leitrim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forevermary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: McCartins (ans) and McGoverns in Leitrim Reply with quote

Going to Ireland in May, 2013. Would be interested in finding any McCartins (ans) and McGoverns in the Cloone, Leitrim area. Have traced back to Matthew McCartin from 1852 and Mary (Marie? Mariah) McGovern from 1858. Mary's familiy immigrated to NYC about 1863 and Matthew went over about 1881. I think Mary's parents were Owen and Mary McGovern.
I have 2 days to spend in Mohill area. Suggestions????
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew McCartan was born at Cornagher and baptised at Cloone on 3rd May 1852 a son of Matthew McCartan and Catherine McGarty. Matthew senior and Catherine were married on 11th November 1835.

Three siblings are recorded in the parish records: Elizabeth on 7th Sept 1836, Matthew on 24th Dec 1840 and Margaret on 9th Dec 1855.

According to my late uncle Bernie, writing in the Irish Folklore Commission ‘Schools Scheme’ in c.1936: Two families of McCartans used to live [in the townland] but one family emigrated to the USA and the other family died out.

I have parish records of other McCartans in the townland going back to the 1820s if you are interested.

I cannot find any trace of Mary or her parents in either Cloone or Aughavas parish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: