Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Moffitts of Fenaugh Parish, Leitrim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancymoffett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Moffitts of Fenaugh Parish, Leitrim Reply with quote

I'm looking for two, most likely related, families of MOFFITT/MOFFAT from County Leitrim. One was headed by Stephen MOFFITT who married Mary TIERNAN prior to 1800. They had the following children in Fenagh Parish:
* Felix bc 1799
* Patrick b 17 Mar 1809
* Mary
* Kate
* Phillip
* Peter
* Nancy
Of these children, Felix, Patrick and Phillip left Ireland and settled in Clinton County, NY. Patrick learned the Cooper trade in Ireland and first went to Quebec before arriving in the US. Patrick traveled on the ship, Canada, which left Sligo in April of 1831 and arrived in Quebec on 2 June 1831. The father Stephen died when Patrick was a \"wee lad\". The family was Catholic.

The second family, from Co. Leitrim, though possibly a different parish, was headed by Patrick and Annie (sometimes Anne or Nancy) MOFFITT/MOFFAT. They had at least 5 sons and possibly a daughter who married a Mr. CASEY, possibly prior to leaving Ireland. Four of the brothers emigrated to the US, arriving July 1850. I'm not sure when Thomas and Mary arrived in the US. All the children lived in Providence, RI in the 1860's. There is no evidence that the parents left Ireland. This family was also Catholic. The children were as follows:
* Mary (CASEY) bc 1828
* Thomas bc 1832
* Patrick bc 1834
* Francis bc 1835
* Felix bc 1838
* William bc 1842

I would appreciate any information anyone might have on the MOFFITT/MOFFAT/MOFFETT, MOPHET, MOFFIT, etc, TIERNAN or CASEY families in County Leitrim.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

I have several Tiernans in my tree in County Leitrim. I hope this information helps you.

Patrick Tiernan b. 1835 married Bridget Shanley 1835-1905
Their children were:
John b. 1858
Terrance b. 1861
Bridget b. 1862 and
Patrick 1859-1946 who married Mary Keegan 1859-1923

I have six children for Patrick and Mary:
Francis b. ?
John 1890-1965
Patrick 1892-1968 who married Anna Maria Bohan 1898-1965 (my relative)
Mary Ellen 1896-1954
Joseph b. 1898
Peter b. 1900

I have five children for Patrick and Anna Maria:
unknown b. ?
Patrick 1932-1992
John 1936-1936
Peter Gerard 1942-1944
Annie b. ?

I hope you can make some connection with this. I'm sure there are still Tiernan family members still in County Leitrim that can also help. Most of my family was from the Fenagh Parish area - Mohill and Cloone. Try http://www.eirphonebook.ie and look for familiar last names in County Leitrim. We found a third cousin on the first call.

If you find family in the 1901 or 1911 census, look at my post from Oct. 2011 and that can guide you to the location of the home(s) they lived in.

We found many other cousins still in the area and are planning our third trip/reunion this year. If I can be of any further help, please let me know. I'll also check with a friend with the last name of Moffett and see if he might have some family in the area.

Keith Nelson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: