Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

THOMAS GROGAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cullen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: THOMAS GROGAN Reply with quote

Here is the second of my greatgrandparents on my mother's side of the family.
As with my Dolan side, the discrepancies between the 1901 and 1911 are staggering.
However my main goal in posting this is to find other Grogan researchers who may be linked to my side of the family and/or someone who has the transcripts of the Beagh or Kilteevan births or marriages and may be able to confirm which dates are correct.
The 1901 Census return form lists
Thomas Grogan head of the family 50
Winifred Grogan wfe 36
Patrick Grogan 11
Mary Kate Grogan 9 MY GRANDMOTHER
John Grogan 7
Winifred Grogan 2
As in the case of my other greastgrandparents, the returns for the 2011 Census could not be further from accurate.
1911:
Thomas Grogan head of the family 66 (6 years older than he should be)
Winifred Grogan wfe 52 (6 years older than she should be)
Patrick Grogan 21 (accurate)
Mary Kate Grogan 18 MY GRANDMOTHER (one year younger than she should be)
John Grogan 16 (one year younger than he should be)
Winifred Grogan 12 (accurate)
and three further children born after 1901:
Margaret Mary Grogan 9
Thomas Grogan 7
Michael Grogan 5
Thomas and Winnie were married 23 years in 1911 and 7 children survived out of 8.
Winifred Grogan's maiden name is uncertain but family sources seem to indicate that she was Winifred Creighton from Loughglynn. The Creighton's had a very large farm and Thomas Grogan was employed as a worker on the farm and that was how he is said to have met my great-grandmother Winifred.
An interesting observation between the 1901 and the 1911 Census return form is that they were both filled out in a different hand. The 1901 form refers to the wife as Winifred while the 1911 lists her as Winnie.
Thomas Grogan's signature also differs from one census to the next - whether one form was filled in by his wife and other by he, or his handwriting may have changed in between.
It is a shame that Census forms of that era never asked the wife's maiden name. How helpful that would be 100 years later when we are all finding it hard to put together an accurate family history.
The 1911 confirms that both Thomas and Winifred were born in Roscommon.
The childen of Thomas and Winifred Grogan:
according to family sources (not proven)
Patrick (also known as Pakie) emigrated to the US and never returned. But before he fled to the States, he went to the Bank and borrowed money against a farm in Clooneyvendon owned by his father. But he never repaid the money and his father, Thomas, had to buy it back from the bank.
Mary Kate (my grandmother) married Peter Dolan and lived in Clooneyvendon, outside Castlerea.
John married –––––––– Healy from Bradford, England.
Michael married Jo Kelly and lived in the home farm at Beagh.
If anyone can help me with any of the above I would be very grateful indeed. Hopefully someone who has access to the birth records may be a very valuable contact, or fellow Grogan researchers who may be able to go back in generations even further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: