Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

MICHAEL DOLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cullen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: MICHAEL DOLAN Reply with quote

Hope someone can help me here.
My greatgrandfather Michael Dolan was from Arm, Ballinapark, Castlerea, County Roscommon.
Listed on the 1901 Census form as:
Michael Dolan (head of household) age 40
Mary Ann (wife) age 40
Peter Dolan (my grandfather) age 20
Emmm Dolan age 18
Frances Dolan age 16
Mary Jane Dolan age 14
Bridget Dolan age 12
Patrick Dolan age 10
John Dolan age 9
Micheal Dolan age 7
Martha Dolan age 3
Thomas Dolan age 1
THIS IS THE EASY BIT (or at least what I thought was a great start!)
The 1911 Census – which should show an increase in age for each person of 10 years (unless of course any of the family was born between the end of March and first two days in April as the 1901 census was taken on 31/3/1901 and the 1911 census was taken on 2/4/1911.
For some inexplicable reason, the ages are way out as below . . .
Michael Dolan (head of household) age 58
Mary Ann (wife) age looks like 35, but I presume it is is 55
Peter Dolan (my grandfather) age 28
Emmm Dolan NOT LISTED
Frances Dolan NOT LISTED
Mary Jane Dolan NOT LISTED
Bridget Dolan age 20
Patrick Dolan age 18
John Dolan age 16
Micheal Dolan age 14
Martha Dolan age 12
Thomas Dolan age 10
The fact that Emma, Frances and Mary were not listed meant they had either left home or stayed the night in another house on the night of the census in 1911.
Mary Jane is said to have become a nun and moved to England, so it is very likely she had already began her sisterhood at that time.
Frances (or Fanny as she was known to the family) is said to have moved to Belfast and again this may have been the reason she may have not been listed.
Emma (was known as Minnie) was possibly married in 1911 and living with her husband Tommy Cuddy in Howth.
Michael Dolan's wife was Mary Ann Brown and she died on the 14th March 1937, at Arm, Ballinapark, Castlerea, County Roscommon. The cause of death was recorded on her death certificate as myocarditis – 10 days cardiac failure certified. Her death was reported by Martha Dolan, her daughter who was present at her death. Her age at last birthday was listed as 74 years of age.
If this is true, her date of birth would have been 1863 and in matching dates, I found an entry which I hope to be her. She was christened on on the 14th June.
Her father’s name was Edward Brown.
Her mother was Ellen Kennedy.
She was christened at: Catholic Parish: Kiltoom & Cam, Civil Parish: Kiltoom, Catholic Diocese: Elphin. The Sponsors were Thomas Kennedy and Ellen O’Neill
And a further search of her parents gave me a listing for:
Edward Brown and Ellen Kennedy were married on 18/9/1858
Catholic Parish: Kiltoom & Cam, Civil Parish: Kiltoom, Catholic Diocese: Elphin.
Family sources (deceased) said that when my grandfather Michael Dolan and Mary Brown married, there were 50 sidecars at the wedding - an indication of how popular either or both of them were at the time. It is also said that Michael was a Herd for O'Connor Don.
Michael and Mary's children:
Martha (also known as Mattie) stayed at home in the old family house and never married.
Peter the eldest married my grandmother Mary Kate Grogan, on the 9th June 1914 in St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Castlerea, County Roscommon. Peter was listed on the marriage certificate as a farmer and Mary Kate as a farmer’s daughter. Peter’s address was Clooneyvendon, a few miles from Castlerea, where he had purchased a house and farm and Mary Kate was from Behy. Thomas Grogan was Mary Kate’s father, who was also a farmer. Peter and Mary Kate continued to reside at Clooneyvendon after this date. She was affectionately known all her life as Molly.
My mother, Mary (or Mae) was the eldest daughter of Peter and Molly.
I realise this is a very long post and contains a lot of names, but I am hoping that either the older or later generations may attract some interest among readers.
I am baffled at the age difference in the census records. If they were out by a year on one or two entries it would not look so strange, but the 1911 entries are way off in most cases.
I was wondering if there were any members who may have the baptism files or transcripts for Castlerea and may be able to find dates of birth for any of the above mentioned family names.
Also I am hoping that there are other Dolan researchers out there who may be related in some way and that we can share our resources. And/or Brown family researchers who may be able to confirm or build on any of the information I have found about my greatgrandmother Mary Ann Brown. Please bear in mind that perhaps her name was spelt Mary 'Anne'.
if you have got this far, thank you for your interest in reading my quest to find more accurate answers and I hope to hear back from anyone who can help me add more accurate details to my family history. I am currently living in Perth, Australia which makes it very hard to research from afar. If I were in Ireland there is nothing I would like to do more than delve into the files available there. Thank you in advance for any assistance or explanation of the discrepancies on the two census forms.
I have a photo taken in the 1920's/30's with both Michael and Mary Anne with some of the family, but cant work out how to post a photo here.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry,
From the Ancestry RootsWeb page, I found the following:

\"…the old age pension was introduced in 1909, it is apparent that the older members of the family took a greater interest in being accurate about their ages in order to qualify.\"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irelandlist/census.html

I have the same issue with my family records in County Leitrim, but they are the same family from one to the next.

I also wrote the Valuation Office in Dublin and they furnished me with the complete land records for the property listed in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Though they had different house numbers in each census, they were the same location. I was able to locate the current owner from those records and visited the property. Turned out the current owner is a third cousin. We are preparing for our third trip there this fall.

My grandfather had an X in the 1901 census but signed the 1911 one. It seems he may have learned to write during the ten year span.

Good luck and I hope you get more help from others.

Keith Nelson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: