Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

LYONS Carrick Roscommon and GREALY Rabbitboro Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cullen

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: LYONS Carrick Roscommon and GREALY Rabbitboro Roscommon Reply with quote

I have a copy of the information contained on the marriage certificate of my great-grandparents on my father's side – JOHN T. LYONS and MARGARET GREALLY who were married at Granlahan Catholic Church, County Roscommon on the 16th June 1866. John’s residence at the time was listed as Carrick and Margaret was listed as being from Rabbitboro. The marriage was performed by Fr. P. McLoughlin and John Greally was the groomsman with Mary Greally as bridesmaid. John Lyons was listed as aged 23 and Margaret was 20 years old. John’s father was named on the certificate as John Lyons and the father of the bride was named Bernard Greally, with an occupation of Tailor. The fact that John Lyons had John Greally as his groomsman could possibly mean he had no brother. Perhap's John was a brother of his new bride?
Counting back CIRCA 20 (born around 1846?) and 23 (born around 1843?) respective years on the freely available Kiltullagh parish births, I am unable to find either for those dates - although the written entries are hard to make out. Even allowing for incorrect ages on the cert, I have gone a year or two before and after but cannot find either of them, yet these records for Kiltullagh parish are complete and oneline in written form. Can anyone help, or are there online records available too.
Also was it normal to include the occupation of the father of the bride, as mentioned above.
Both Lyons and Greally were common names in the Carrick/Rabbitboro neighbourhoods at this time and there were many Lyons who were no doubt cousins living in close proximity to eachother.
Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: