Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Marcus Sparling-British Soldier-1849-Athlone Roscommon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Marcus Sparling-British Soldier-1849-Athlone Roscommon Reply with quote

I just received information that my great, great grandfather was Marcus Sparlings, a soldier in the British Army. He married on 2 June, 1849, in St. Peter's, Athlone. He gave his address as Barracks Street. I assume Athlone. To further my search I will need the name of the regiment that was engaged there at the time. Can anyone help me find that out?

Is it probable that his new bride, Catherine Connolly, remained in Roscommon after the marriage, or is it more likely that she returned to her home town, Dublin?

Dalycamp@aol.com

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Sparling-British Soldier-1849-Athlone Roscommon Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: I just received information that my great, great grandfather was Marcus Sparlings, a soldier in the British Army. He married on 2 June, 1849, in St. Peter's, Athlone. He gave his address as Barracks Street. I assume Athlone. To further my search I will need the name of the regiment that was engaged there at the time. Can anyone help me find that out?

: Is it probable that his new bride, Catherine Connolly, remained in Roscommon after the marriage, or is it more likely that she returned to her home town, Dublin?

Dede, I don't know about June 1849 but we have a listing of army units for August 1848. Find it in The O'Beirne Family Journal, Issue 4, in the article about Owen Beirne, part 2, at www.obeirnefamily.mcmail.com. Three units were listed for Athlone as the country was an armed camp and clearly what we would now call an "occupied territory."

John Rooney

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Marcus Sparling-British Soldier-1849-Athlone Roscommon Reply with quote

All regimental marriages were recorded in the appropriate regimental marriage roll. These rolls should give the bride and grooms names, his rank, regiment and where they married. These rolls are archived, and for a small fee they can be searched. The address is; Office for National Statistics, Overseas Section, Room C201, Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 2HH, UK.

Records of soldiers up to 1914 are held by the, Public Record Office, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU, UK, www.pro.gov.uk. The most detailed record of a soldier’s service is the attestation and discharge documents filed in section WO97. The documents are annotated to give a record of service and all except a few of the earliest give place of birth, age on enlistment and physical description. From 1883 details of next-of-kin, wife and children are given. The documents are arranged in several series. The first 1760 - 1854 is arranged by regiment then alphabetically by name. The series 1855 - 1872 and 1873 -1882 are arranged similarly to the first series. The last series, 1883 - 1913, is arranged alphabetically for the whole army. Records of soldiers who died whilst serving and who, therefore, did not receive a discharge certificate, were destroyed.

From the mid 18th until the late 19th Century, Infantry regiments were numbered in order of precedence, based on the date that the regiment was formed. Generally, but with some exceptions, regiments were itinerant regularly moving their depots and having no official 'territorial' base. Things changed in 1881 with reforms initiated by Lord Cardwell. The existing regimental system and the practice of enlistment for life had meant that the Regular Army had never possessed a reserve of trained men, with the result that each successive emergency had been met by improvisation not organisation. Amongst his many reforms, Cardwell integrated the Regular Army and the Militia within 66 Brigade Districts, regular and auxiliary units were organised around a permanent Regimental Depot, which was an administrative HQ and basic training centre for recruits. Consecutive numbering would cease to apply, regiments would be known by their distinctive or territorial title, for example, the 39th Regiment of Foot became The Dorsetshire Regiment.

johnrooney@ntlworld.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: