Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Cemetery in Townland of Ardkeenagh, Parish of Estersnow

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell Hudson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Cemetery in Townland of Ardkeenagh, Parish of Estersnow Reply with quote

During an enjoyable and informative visit to County Roscommon in 1998, an elderly resident from the Townland of Knockroe, Parish of Estersnow, pointed out the site of an abandoned burial ground close to where my Cuttle ancestors occupied a small farm during the mid-1800s. The site he showed me was about 3 miles south of Boyle, on the main road to Frenchpark and Elphin. Here the road passes through the western margin of the Townland of Ardkeenagh into the Townland of Knockroe, and the burial ground is believed to have been located several chains east of the road, within the Townland of Ardkeenagh. The resident believed that originally there were a number of gravestones in the burial ground, but that these had been relocated to enable the land to be used for farming.

I would be most interested to know if there is any information to confirm the existence of this burial ground, and particularly interested to hear if anyone is aware of any records of burials or tombstone inscriptions from the site.

russellhudson@bigpond.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: